Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to use it again with my new motor but don't recall if it just gets full manifold vacuum or timed with a temperature vacuum switch. Any help would be welcome, I hooked it up to full manifold vacuum and it seems OK, just wondering about it.

The reason I want to use it is because I think it keeps fumes down in the tank, plus it just looks that much more stockish and keeps me in good graces with the inspection guys.

1977 BTW

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
The 76 parts car I have is bone stock, I'll check it out this week end and see if I can trace all the hoses through the pack rat mess and also get you a photo. You may have to call and remind me, I am getting a little forgetful in my old age.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Hi ALLT4,

The canister purge line is usually either Tee'd into the PCV vacuum hose or connected to a dedicated port on the carburetor. In either case it's manifold vacuum.

Too much canister purge flow can upset the air/fuel mixture though so various control methods are used and they vary by application. I think the 2-port canisters use some sort of restriction somewhere (probably in the carb's dedicated purge port) to limit flow. Some canisters have 1 or 2 valves on the top that control the purge flow. The small vacuum hoses that control those valve(s) usually go to a ported vacuum source on the carb.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think I recall it being full manifold vacuum. I have it "T"ed into the PCV line right now and it seems to work OK, well lets just say I don't notice any difference in the way it runs.

Here's a pic, don't see any kind of valve just two lines one coming one going, the lower one in the pic is going to the PCV line... nice thing now is I no longer smell gas fumes in the garage, I used to shut it down and a half hour later with the doors closed smell gas something terrible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts