Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took the TH400 out and ordered up a custom Powerglide for the Nova with an SFI Bell and 1.80 gears. I still have the TH350 Crossmember with the original transmission solid mount that I ran on the TH350 will that bolt right up to the Glide or is there something different about the two? I haven't picked it up yet I'm just trying to get everything ready and to make sure I'm not missing something when it comes time to put in.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I swapped mine over 20 yrs ago and the best I remember it was a direct swap with no problems at all, except the yoke if you go from the 400 which uses the bigger fine spline shaft and the shifter of course. Had 4 cars since and they all had/have PGs. RM

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I already swapped the 400 Yoke out and put the correct one on. I'm hoping that this Glide will cure all my traction issues outta the hole otherwise it was a big waste of money! I'm hoping to get the 1.70 60' times with the TH400 down to a respectable 1.40 or better with the help of the Glide.........Shoulda expected problems though with big HP and small tires! Oh well I wouldn't have it any other way! I'm gone to Texas until Monday so ya'll have Happy Easter and we'll let ya know how things go on the Glide swap next week!

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
badass70_nova said:
Thanks guys, I already swapped the 400 Yoke out and put the correct one on. I'm hoping that this Glide will cure all my traction issues outta the hole otherwise it was a big waste of money! I'm hoping to get the 1.70 60' times with the TH400 down to a respectable 1.40 or better with the help of the Glide.........Shoulda expected problems though with big HP and small tires! Oh well I wouldn't have it any other way! I'm gone to Texas until Monday so ya'll have Happy Easter and we'll let ya know how things go on the Glide swap next week!
Weren't you running the same times with the 383 and the bottle last season as this new big block should run? You got it to hook up then :confused:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The powerglide and Turbo 350 is the same crossmember. I just put a powerglide into my 74 Nova and the crossmember fits exact.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DriveWFO said:
Weren't you running the same times with the 383 and the bottle last season as this new big block should run? You got it to hook up then :confused:
I was running the SB with 300 Shot of juice and ran a 6.18 @ 112 with a 1.39 60' time with the TH400 and I went a 6.20 @ 112 with a 1.70 60' time this past Sunday with a TH400 and just motor. I know the car will go a 5.90 or better if I can get it to hook up outta the hole.

·
Banned
726 Posts
badass70_nova said:
I'm hoping to get the 1.70 60' times with the TH400 down to a respectable 1.40 or better with the help of the Glide
Your 60ft times will be slower (worse) with the Glide. The two speed launches as if you are in second gear because of the 1-2 gear ratio. It will "calm" your launch. you'll have to come out at a much higher RPM to get the car to move forward. Our Camaro ran a best 1.32 60 ft and a 9.38 quarter with a TH400. With the glide (no other changes) the 60ft slowed to a best 1.38 and the quarter to a 9.44. It used to do giant wheel stands with the 400 and with the glide it launches like a pro-stocker. The 400 launched at 3500 rpm and the glide at 5500. The trap rpm also grew by 400 rpms. The glide is a much better choice but i didnt want you to get discouraged when the 60fts arent "quicker".
-Steve

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I have a friend who recently switched from a 400 to a glide; with the same converter the 60's and e.t.'s fell off. He had a new converter made for the combo and now it's about 2/10ths quicker with better and more consistent 60 foot times. It's a pretty tame 406 in a 72 Nova that weighs just under 3000lbs. and runs 6.20's in the 1/8 and high 9's in the 1/4.

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
fast4by, if i'm reading everything right the problem is slow 60fts due to traction issues, not due to gear ratios. the glide will make it leave slower than the 400 when it hooked perhaps, but faster than the 400 with no traction, follow?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts