Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you re-dye seat belts? I have a set from a fawn interior and would like to have black. Has anybody done this?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Heard that Rit brand dye works real well. Use double the amount and follow the instructions. Use a big pan on the stove. Make sure the lady of the house is out for the day!:D

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I'am parting out a 66 Corvair Monza. It has black seat belts in it that are in very nice condition. Both front and rear. I will give them to you if they are the same. Not sure if they are but I'll bet they are. You pay postage.

N

·
0 Posts
Rit dye works great, I've used it on shoelaces. And yes, I would double what they recommend. Make sure the belts are super-clean before you start, bleach them if you have to.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
i dyed the seat belts in my chevelle with rit dye. I first went to the local laundry mat and threw them in the wash along with a bunch of shop rags. (why destroy my own washing machine) Then put the rit dye in a large pot on the stove and brought it to a boil then turned it off. I let it cool down a little then put all the belts in and left them there until the water became room temp. after that it was back to the laundry mat. That was 2 years ago they still look good and the dye has never come off on me. Or just go to your local Upholstery shop and have them sew together new ones in any color you want.:D

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vaporloc that is a very nice offer and I would be very interested. sent you a pm but not sure if I did it right.:confused:

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
n8. said:
Rit dye works great, I've used it on shoelaces. And yes, I would double what they recommend. Make sure the belts are super-clean before you start, bleach them if you have to.
You have actually dyed shoe laces??:D Did they simply not match the other accessories in your ensemble??:D Were you going undercover and needed a disguise??:D Did you lose a bet??:D Please tell us this story.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
66nogo2 said:
vaporloc that is a very nice offer and I would be very interested. sent you a pm but not sure if I did it right.:confused:
I got your pm. I'am pretty sure the seat belts don't know the difference from a bench seat or a bucket seat. Guessing they are the same. These are really nice and I'd be glad to see you use them. That is what steve's website is for, chevy people helping out chevy people. (or dodge, pontiac, chrysler, studebaker, packard,oldsmobile,buick etc, etc.):)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts