Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello This is my first post to this site, I am new. I am in the process of changing out the body mounts on my 1970 nova sub frame, I have the rad suports bushings out and am going to go to the fire wall ones next, I have the front bumper disconnected but it seems as though there is still something that is holding things togeteher. I am looking for a well explained, step by step to get me through this please.

Thanks,

Blaster:confused:

·
Registered
151 Posts
there is a "nub" or shoulder that recesses into the frame to help locate the bushing. most of the time, i have done several, they are rusted to one part or the other. i found that some gentle persuasion with large screwdriver or pry bar or both will work them free.
be careful though, you dont want to move the front clip too much, you might buckle a fender. i have even used a shaved block of wood to take the weight off the bushing so as to loosen up the rusted part. as long as you have the bolt out, the bushing WILL come out. they are a steel pipe like thing wrapped in rubber to help make the joint between the body and frame a "quiet" connection.
if replacing, go with the rubber at the radiator support. it will keep the vibrations from the radiator. they will tear it apart. what ever on the rest of them. i went with solids to help stiffen the frame/body/ subframe connectors.
my 2 cents
eric

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you

Thank you for your input

I need more info please, This car is a disaster, everything I touch is deteriated badly, the rad support mount is rusted paper thin, the ones at the fire wall have holes as big as the old bushings and I havnt even gotten to the rear ones yet

questions: I need to get this car in the air so I can get at things, where do I support it so that I dont damage the car and am not using the frame?

The column plate is that where the car is bolted to the frame? if not where is it and what does it look like?

I could use a little ,more advice on how to get this job done so I dont go nuts

thanks,

Blaster

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
I'm pretty sure he's referring to the plate that is part of the steering column. It secures the column as it passes through the firewall. It sounds like the car is so badly rusted that you're going to need to support it on broad areas, like maybe a 2x10 on 2 jack stands just aft of where the front sub ends and an additional support under the trans tunnel right under the firewall. This is assuming the engine and trans are out.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
^^Yes sir, thanks!
Also there are some replacement patch plates on the market to repair the factory horns for the subframe mounts that weld in or I have made my own kit that replaces the area and welds back in instead of stacking the plates.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
again thanks

thanks for the comments and suggestions guys

I will figure things out, the engine is still in the car, I was hoping to get this done a little easier than it has been but thats the way it goes. I just ordered the plates that fit in for patches and will use them when they arive in the mean time I will jack this puppy into the air using broad support where it will fit.

thanks.

Blaster

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
If I remember correctly when I did some DSE billet 1/2" drop bushings and DSE weld thru the floor frame connectors on a guys 69 convertible I supported the body with jack stands under the pinch welded rockers. Then loosened the column firewall plate, unbolted the column from under the dash. Then loosened all the body mounts and lowered the back of the subframe with a floor jack under the trans. crossmember and replaced the back 4 bushings. Then I lowered the front down with a jack under the engine crossmember and changed out the core support bushings. This car had the engine in it also when I did all this.

Watch when you install the weld in patch plate's as you may have to trim alittle off them to be able to align the subframe in the car alittle better than it was before. Get it all lined up and the bolts snuged into place then tack weld the plates. Then pull the bushings back out and weld the plates in real well. Going the extra step to correct any subframe alignment issues will save some headaches down the road, especially at the alignment shop.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is good stuff

Again thanks

Lots of help here, and I will take it and run with it, If I run into any more trouble I will yell. You guys are a great help

thanks,

Blaster

1 - 11 of 11 Posts