Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Quadrajet and recently changed the very dirty fuel filter.

Car was cutting out if I was doing around 65/70 on the highway and a friend who isn't a total newbie like myself with these cars (this is my first old school car) mentioned it might be due to my fuel filter and/or fuel pump. I figured I'd try the fuel filter first. I have a Facet cube fuel pump fyi.

The thing was very dirty, shock and surprise. I replaced it thinking hey, with how filthy this is, that has to help...well, now I have the same issue but just even gunning it a little bit from a stop, so a lot 'worse' It sounds like it's not getting fuel but how could that be related to a fresh fuel filter?

I'm having my friend come over and check it out but he doesn't have time for another week so I figured I"d ask here in the meantime. You folks always have great answers. :D:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I had a similar issue and found out my fuel was the culprit. I had a spare tank, so I just swapped it out. It is common for condensation to rust the tanks internally, that's why it is important to store them with a full tank in the northern climate. I would suggest dropping your tank if the second filter is also clogged, to see if that is the issue. :yes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a similar issue and found out my fuel was the culprit. I had a spare tank, so I just swapped it out. It is common for condensation to rust the tanks internally, that's why it is important to store them with a full tank in the northern climate. I would suggest dropping your tank if the second filter is also clogged, to see if that is the issue. :yes:
Will check this new filter tomorrow night to see if it's dirtied as well if that's what you mean (sorry if I'm reading that wrong).

Would that possibly explain it suddenly being worse with a fresh filter versus the dirty/clogged one you think?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Will check this new filter tomorrow night to see if it's dirtied as well if that's what you mean (sorry if I'm reading that wrong).

Would that possibly explain it suddenly being worse with a fresh filter versus the dirty/clogged one you think?
You are understanding me correctly. It is hard to say, this may have created other problems, like dirt in the bowls of the carb itself. You will need to do some diagnostic work to find the origin and more then likely go through the entire fuel system depending on where it started. Don't jump all over the place changing parts, take your time to find the cause and correct it first. There is a join in the fuel line on the passenger side near the end of the subframe, where you can put an inline filter in place of the rubber line. If it gets dirty quickly, that would be a good sign the tank is the cause.

Here's somethings to help you narrow it down,

What was in the old filter? If it's dirt or rust particles, where did they start, fuel pump, lines or tank.

With the engine still running poorly, I'd be inclined to say the carb my need cleaning as well. Removing the float bowl and checking for sediment will be a good indication too.

Hopefully that helps you get started in the right direction.

·
Registered
65 Super Sport
253 Posts
I have a Quadrajet and recently changed the very dirty fuel filter.

Car was cutting out if I was doing around 65/70 on the highway and a friend who isn't a total newbie like myself with these cars (this is my first old school car) mentioned it might be due to my fuel filter and/or fuel pump. I figured I'd try the fuel filter first. I have a Facet cube fuel pump fyi.

The thing was very dirty, shock and surprise. I replaced it thinking hey, with how filthy this is, that has to help...well, now I have the same issue but just even gunning it a little bit from a stop, so a lot 'worse' It sounds like it's not getting fuel but how could that be related to a fresh fuel filter?

I'm having my friend come over and check it out but he doesn't have time for another week so I figured I"d ask here in the meantime. You folks always have great answers. :D:D:D:D
Don't be offended when I ask this question! Did you install the fuel filter backward (hole facing inward) I've seen it done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are understanding me correctly. It is hard to say, this may have created other problems, like dirt in the bowls of the carb itself. You will need to do some diagnostic work to find the origin and more then likely go through the entire fuel system depending on where it started. Don't jump all over the place changing parts, take your time to find the cause and correct it first. There is a join in the fuel line on the passenger side near the end of the subframe, where you can put an inline filter in place of the rubber line. If it gets dirty quickly, that would be a good sign the tank is the cause.

Here's somethings to help you narrow it down,

What was in the old filter? If it's dirt or rust particles, where did they start, fuel pump, lines or tank.

With the engine still running poorly, I'd be inclined to say the carb my need cleaning as well. Removing the float bowl and checking for sediment will be a good indication too.

Hopefully that helps you get started in the right direction.
Thank you very much for your detailed response. I'll get on this as soon as I have the time (that's the hardest part!)

Don't be offended when I ask this question! Did you install the fuel filter backward (hole facing inward) I've seen it done.
Oh no, of course not, you're just trying to help. I definitely installed it correctly, I triple checked that since it was my first time and I didn't want to screw it up :cool:

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had a friend do that. Got his engine all together and called me up saying he couldn't get it to start. I went over there, looked at it and said, Ill fix it but its going to cost about $100... then I pointed to the arrow on the fuel filter. haha. I gave him crap about that for years!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts