Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at options to make my ride a little more highway friendly. I'm running a TH 350 tranny and 9" ford with 411 ratio, and 15" wheels. These components came with car so I used them. It sure is fun for a 1/4 mile or stop light jumping, but not good on highway. I've looked into changing transmission to a 700R4 or 200R4, but started thinking I might accomplish what I need with new ring and pinion in a 3.50 or new gear ratio. I'm not looking to tour the U.S. in it, but would like to drive to some car shows out of town occasionally and cruise some highways. I see the gears for $150-$200, but don't know what a shop would charge to install them? This seems a more cost effective way to go. Any ideas or input on this is appreciated.

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
Just buy a whole center section. You can swap these out in an hour in your driveway. You can keep the 4.11's for track day. I used a set of 3.50's on the street and 4.10's for the strip in my 67. You could also sell the 4.11's and recoup some of your funds.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
What mike said...I changed the trans , but mine was a 4 speed and the final ratio was still one to one. I had 4:11 and changed to 3:73 as I wanted the same thing to cruise to shows an hour away. I lost all the grunt with a 302 so I changed the trans to an Autogear (M23Z) so now its like a 5:09 first gear and still one to one for the final ratio. Go with what Mike said and just change out the center section. Sell or keep the 4:11.

Dave

·
Registered
813 Posts
Even though it would cost more money, an overdrive transmission would give you the best of both worlds (stop light jumping + lower rpm highway cruising)... but I'm kinda bias to overdrives since I have one installed in my Nova with 4.10 gears. When I'm in 4th gear (overdrive), it like having a 2.75 differential ratio with a turbo 350 trans.

I prefer the 2004R due to the 1st and 2nd gear ratio that is similar to the turbo 350... and a slightly better overdrive gear compared to the 700R4 (.67 vs .70).

·
3,288 Posts
It's a common fork in the road. All good answers. Really, it depends on what you use the car for and how you want to drive it. Cruiser? Why not do the center section? Tons of cars from the late '60's and '70s were built with 350/350 and low 3 rear end ratios, and some even in the high twos...I think you could get a 10 bolt with something like 2.75/1 ring and pinion. Those cars were much more highway friendly than 4.11's. But if you want to vie for the Stoplight Nationals title on occasion, the OD would probably be the way to go.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
You should look at some online calculators to figure out the rpms you want to cruise at on the highway. They take into consideration the gear ratios for the trans and differential, tire size, and desired speed.. Plug your numbers and build for that.. The gear ratios for 1st through 4th on the various transmissions are available as well..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts