Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the 62, but finding out why so many design changes came out in 63. :rolleyes: I am guessing the old design lead retired after he birthed the first model year and the "kids" took it from there :cool:. (If it does not exist, the Nova's design history might make a good documentary!! )

I am leaning towards changing out the 62's stock cluster that had idiot lights with a 63 SS cluster with gages and tack were the clock should be. Besides securing the obvious parts, what am I getting myself into? What does it take to convert the 62 single turn signal indicator light into the seperate 63 indicator lights? Will I need to go with a 63 dash harness to match or go further with 63' fuse block and front side harness as well?

Any pitfalls, tips, tricks, do's and don'ts would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The dash harness has the fuse block in it. It connects to the underhood harness at the fuse block at the firewall. I would use a 63 dash harness for gauges and a 63 underhood harness.

·
Premium Member
7,763 Posts
A reproduction 63-64 harness would make the job easy as pie and would be just like the factory but it isn't too hard to do it without the SS wiring harness either. All you really need to do is to run wires to the Ammeter with a reproduction shunt and the temp gauge with the correct sending unit. Wire-up the tach. The oil pressure gauge is mechanical and the gas gauge can be connected to your existing wires. Just like installing aftermarket gauges. There are spade connectors on the back of the factory gauges that you can connect with conventional wire connectors available at Radio Shack.

A voltmeter is even easier to hook-up because it doesn't require a shunt.;)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CRJ - I was thinking this route just to keep it clean. Would look the best, but cost the most in time and labor. Most likely the way I will go because nothing to good for the mistress.

64ProNova - Sweeeeet!!!:yes:: Thanks for the advise. If its for sale, give me a PM. If not, tell me if you restored or purchased new.

Now how about that pesky 62 single turn indicator? :confused: I read someplace that the fundamental wiring scheme is different between 62 and 63 turn signals. I know the turn switch in 62 was a dinasour and replaced 63 along with adding dual indicators. Any suggestions on that front?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the custom cluster, but there is something about the factory look that appeals to me, even if its from a 63. So far no one has answered the wanted add, so its looking like time to investigate the repro market or scouring the country sides. :(

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dale @ novasrus.com has used SS clusters available.
Thanks for the lead DesertDeuce:yes: I fired one off to Dale to see what he has. When it rains it pours. I now have multiple offers to help me dress up the mistress. I am no fortune teller, but I see a new cluster in my future.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts