Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to get some opinions on centrifugal superchargers. I always had a little fear when it came to super chargers but the Powerdyne FAQ had some interesting things to say about it. Now all marketing aside and anyone who has real world experience please chime in on their experiences with one if you have ever used one. Im considering putting one on my 383 fuel injected engine and was thinking of running a mild 6 psi of boost or whatever is the best to run without melting my engine. Im running about 9.2:1 comp so Im thinking 6 psi should be fine.

Here is what caught my eye first.

Q: Doesn't running boost on an engine put more strain on the engine's parts?

A: Not necessarily. RPM is what kills engine parts. Typically, an unblown engine has to run up to 7,000 or 8,000 rpm to make any real power. At these high speeds you need a special crank, rods, pistons, rocker arms, valves, valve springs, and on and on. But a blower substantially increases power and torque at much lower rpm's. You usually don't have to run a blown engine over about 6,000 rpm to make maximum power. At these speeds stock engine components are usually more than adequate.
Additionally an engine sees maximum load on the components at the moment the piston changes speed from going up in the cylinder to going down. There is a commonly held theory, too complicated to go into here, that increasing the combustion pressure, which a supercharger does, actually reduces this maximum load when piston travel changes from up to down. Under this theory, at comparable rpm's a blown engine is easier on parts than an unblown engine.
In actuality, as long as detonation is controlled, you rarely have any engine failures with a blower.
http://www.powerdyne.com/tech.htm

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
http://www.procharger.com/

Some good questions/answers on here. This is the blower I went with, several others on here running them also. My application is a little different setup from yours but I am at 9:1 and 15lbs of boost w/intercooler. At 6 pounds you shouldn't need an intercooler with that low compression.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Im trying to figure out what the best kit would be considering price, ease of installation, and what kits are the most complete. I really dont want to buy a super expensive kit to find out its overkill for my application since I really dont want to go past 9 psi even if I should run an intercooler. At the same time I dont want anything that will be inadequate. I plan on running a WB O2 to dial everything in.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Just out of curiousity what type of fuel injection setup are you running? Does it have the capability to accept a different map sensor?
Tg

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Its a Tpi Accel Superram intake (still sitting brand new in box on my kitchen floor). I would be able to easily adapt a two bar map sensor and run a burned chip with a forced induction fuel trim. I have a GM 7730 density computer which I belive I could burn a SyTy bin (Cyclone or Typhoon calibration) and would have to be repinned (shouldnt be to hard since I repinned the harness from a maf to a SD ecm to begin with)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I've used Prochargers on a handfull of street and racecars with GREAT success. They are the BEST blower on the market for power and dependability. All the info you need should be on their site or a phone call and an info packet away.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I did get the procharger packet a while back but I wanted to get some opinions. I see the procharger version is very popular. Can you suggest a good distributor for the pro charger unit? Kind of cool the fastest pump gas car is a Nova that they show on their site.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I shopped around quite a bit for cheapest price. Best I found was Superchargers4less.com. There is another place (Texas hot rods) I believe was the name, might use THR on ebay and they had pretty good prices also.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I ran across this post and was thinking it might be cool to have a supercharger on my 454 in my 4th gen.:D What type of special equipment do you have to have in order to run a supercharger? Do you have to run fuel injection; if not fuel injection do you need a special carburetor?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
check out TURBOMUSTANGS.COM. that site will let u know all u need to know about boosted applications. my buddies runnin a TWIN TURBO 406 SBC w/ a BLOW THRU carb. he pushes about 930HP @ the wheels. pulls 9.20's 1/4 @ 157, and thats WITHOUT traction on a drag radial. and its a street car, drives it to the track, the dyno, and occasional freeway miles. where else can u get that much HP, w/o losin reliability................

·
Registered
86 Posts
shaggy said:
Im trying to figure out what the best kit would be considering price, ease of installation, and what kits are the most complete. I really dont want to buy a super expensive kit to find out its overkill for my application since I really dont want to go past 9 psi even if I should run an intercooler. At the same time I dont want anything that will be inadequate. I plan on running a WB O2 to dial everything in.
I researched for around two years reading everything I could about all superchargers including roots, centrifugal, some turbo set ups, and after everything went with a Procharger system. I got it and installed it in about 1 1/2 hours. The only thing I need to do now is run the fuel lines from the back and crank it up. Everything with the install has gone pretty smooth so far.

·
Registered
86 Posts
WhitecatD said:
I ran across this post and was thinking it might be cool to have a supercharger on my 454 in my 4th gen.:D What type of special equipment do you have to have in order to run a supercharger? Do you have to run fuel injection; if not fuel injection do you need a special carburetor?
I am going to be running mine on a 454. You do need a blow through carb, that you can buy in a couple of places. The only things you will need to change depending on the amount of boost you will run will be your fuel system (bigger).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts