Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody done this?
My crate engine runs great and car is 50% on street and rest on track. Runs high 11s now, but am going to get a cage and want to get quicker without sacrificing street manners. A mid 10 second car would be great. So, would a Vortec or Procharger work on this engine since compression is 8.75 and everything is forged and 4-bolt, etc? Or is my thinking wrong on this one?
Really looking for this to be a low rpm streetable 10 second 63 Nova.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think you're right on. I've thought of the same setup especially since the 454 crate is so affordable & as you said it has an all forged rotating assembly. With the low comp you should be able to run some decent boost. For a street/strip car like yours, I think its an ideal setup that will be very reliable/streetable but with some serious balls. There was a magazine buildup of a GM crate 454 with a supercharger not long ago ... I'll look for it & post info if I find it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much. Any info and tips would be very valuable. Glad you agree with my idea for a quick reliable street/strip setup.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
No reason at all for it not to work. You'll need a few things along with the blower kit.
Fuel system upgrade capable of boost reference and a total fuel pressure of your boost level plus 7. So if you're running 12 lbs of boost your fuel pump better be able to supply a steady 19 lbs of pressure.
A "blow thru" carb will be required. Call CSU for the best blow through calibrated carbs!!
A boost referenced ignition system will be required as well. Like the MSD 6BTM or similar. Mallory, Crane and others all offer their versions.

And finally, personally I like the intercooled kits offered by ProCharger better than the non-intercooled kits offered by Vortech and Paxton.

Call Craig at BDS for the kit and tech info!! I'm sure he'll shed a bunch of light for you!!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Here's the article I was referring to Car Craft's "Import Killer" .. they use a Vortec blow-thru setup:

http://www.carcraft.com/projectbuild/116_0309_chevy_big_block_crate_engine_build_up/index.html

Do a Google search "454HO procharger" & you'll get lots to read.
The Vortec "Carb enclosure" setup is really not the best way to go...:no: Very problematic.:yes:

The best way to go is with a carb "Hat" and a properly built carb.

I'm sure the AFR 305's and the Crane solid roller helped out the guys doing the magazine build get prettier results for their print too..:devil:

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
The Vortec "Carb enclosure" setup is really not the best way to go...:no: Very problematic.:yes:

The best way to go is with a carb "Hat" and a properly built carb.

Hey D man,
I am wondering why those carb enclosures are considered problematic? I'm not trying to stir up anything, I just want an education:D I persoanlly don't think those setups look very good, but I don't know why they would not work OK.
Ron

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Hey D man,
I am wondering why those carb enclosures are considered problematic? I'm not trying to stir up anything, I just want an education:D I persoanlly don't think those setups look very good, but I don't know why they would not work OK.
Ron
For one, try sealing the box air tight with fuel lines and throttle linkages going through it.:rolleyes:

Then there's other issues with the carb itself and how it "senses" the boost. Issues like leaking around the throttle shafts (leaking air INTO the carb) and effecting it's airflow through the venturi), etc...

If you go on the Turbo Forums you'll run into quite a few rants about it.:D

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
carb enclosures do they allow you not to use a blow through carb and a regular one?
They're supposed to allow you to use a regular (unmodified) carb. One problem is there's no proper boost reference for the power valve that way.:no: Remember, that's the equivalent to 8-to-10 jet sizes.:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts