Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new Centerforce 10.4" flywheel, DF clutch and pressure plate in a 66 hardtop with a 327 using all other stock components and have a problem with clutch adjustment. The clutch will work but there is no more adjustment on the linkage to compensate for the future. The pivot ball is the GM long version and the release bearing is centerforce. The bearing measures 1 1/8" in length. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
I had the same problem, using the same parts. The longer throwout bearing is too long with the stock linkage. I am using a curved fork with a adjustable ballstud. Hopefully I will be able to try it in a couple weeks. PM me your phone number and I can tell you what I have done.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
bosco said:
I am using the stock bell, what would be the diifference if using the lakewood ?

When you use the Lakewood b/h you have to measure and adjust the pivot stud accordingly.(it's not exactly the same dimentions as OEM)

I had a similar problem a couple years ago (Chevelle) and I ended up taking it all apart and sending it back to c/f they would not admit there was a problem with it but they sent me a whole new set up. (I had to pay shipping to them) I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear but...

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
I have the centreforce 10 1/2" clutch in mine with the stock bellhousing and stud with the straight clutch fork .Mine had the same problem .I bought the release bearing that centerforce recommende and no problems.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
DanG said:
When you use the Lakewood b/h you have to measure and adjust the pivot stud accordingly.(it's not exactly the same dimentions as OEM)

I had a similar problem a couple years ago (Chevelle) and I ended up taking it all apart and sending it back to c/f they would not admit there was a problem with it but they sent me a whole new set up. (I had to pay shipping to them) I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear but...

I talked to Centerforce and they didn't mention anything about a different setup. If i remember correctly they told me to try a McLoed adjustable throwout bearing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The answer would apear to be to use the Mcleod adjustable pivot ball. The Lakewood adj. ball will not work because it is shorter in total length than the standard gm version. The centerforce release bearing is part of the problem. Their bearing measures 1-1/8" in total length and the original gm bearing is 1-1/4", so right away the clutch adjustment rod would need to compensate an additional 1/8" when using the centerforce bearing. The centerforce pressure plate center is probably shorter in depth than the original gm too. I'll have this worked out within the week and post my findings. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I use a Hay's T/O bearing
Lakewood B/H
Stock GM fork
Adjustable Pivot ball
No problems so far.
Although there is no (free-play) in the clutch pedal. I could not get the clutch to release with any free-play????
Push the pedal down about three inches and it releases with ease.

Don

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
I have the centreforce 10 1/2" clutch in mine with the stock bellhousing and stud with the straight clutch fork .Mine had the same problem .I bought the release bearing that centerforce recommende and no problems.
Do you know the part number for the recommended throwout or what brand it is?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts