Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of installing the rack and pinion setup on my car and I look at the spindle pictured and look at mine. Confusion sets in.

here is my spindle.

any insight as to how it mounts?

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Its gets worse, Your probably gonna have to ditch those front brakes and go with a stock spindle front brake package. You have what appears to be the one piece dropped spindle with S-10 calipers.

I would start by locatinf some stock nova spindles and go from there. If you need a drop spindle I believe there are 2 piece drop spindles that work with the CBR rack but again you would still need different front brake package.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
You could probably get stock spindles and find a caliper bracket that will fit your caliper and rotor. There is a ton of different bracket kits out there, I did a quick google search and say kits with the metric caliper like you have. Bracket don't look like much money. I'm sure if you call Chuck in the morning he could get you squared up.
I know it's a set back but it will all be worth it once you get the rack in its awesome.

Charley.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yep, you will need the 2 piece spindles so that you can mount the CBR billet steering arms and then hook up the rack.

There is no other option other than to use the billet arms with 2 piece spindles. I tried it with 2 piece spindles and chevelle/nova arms and it is a no go.

CPP makes a nice 2 piece dropped spindle. You may find a used set around somewhere it you keep your eyes open.

Not sure about the brakes you have working on the new spindles. One thing at a time.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I had the same spindles and calipers. I went with CPP two piece brackets and calipers, they DO have a bracket that will work. Also be careful that setup may interfere with the upper control arm, causing you to loose front brakes...not fun.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I reallly appreciate the help, gentleman. This is a wonderful community.I will look into my options and check back in.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
I reallly appreciate the help, gentleman. This is a wonderful community.I will look into my options and check back in.
Both Chuck Jr & Sr are first class guys. Call them for some help and you'll see that REAL service still exists!:yes:
Leftcoast carl:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Chuck is super helpful! i have 2inch drop CPP spindles w LS brake swap used Chucks LS brake caliper mounts w his Aarms uses stock steering arms had to drill the steering arm out to use a 1/2 bolt instead of the 7/16 which is stock to go to the CPP spindle...no big deal stuff....just sayin case u had to do the spindle swap

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
More or less that would be the easy button:DThat is the two piece drop spindle.I am unfamilar with the brakes on your current setup.It is possible that the calipers and rotors would swap over.The CPP kit uses S-10 calipers.Jeff @ CPP should be able to tell you if your part will work with CPP spindles and caliper brackets.Iam also not sure what upper arm your using? If stock you will need to be sure to get the drop spindle caliper bracket or the calipers will hit the upper arms.If you have CBR uppers yu might be ok with stock location brackets but I am not sure.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was able to get a hold of Jeff who was extremely helpful. He mentioned either the modular drop spindle or the stock spindle they carry will accommodate the steering arm. I also left a voicemail with Chuck, so we will see where this goes.

Apparently my setup is ancient haha. Maybe it is time for a complete upgrade.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Before you spend any of your hard earned money you need to ask Jeff and Chuck about what brake sets will work the best for your situation. You need to RESEARCH and then do even more RESEARCH. Otherwise you will be doing this all over again.

Bryan

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I spoke to both guys and got a pretty good idea so far, but yes I agree with the research. I'm going to read a little more before I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
That Superior spindle kit is pretty old, but I think they were probably the best one offered in that time frame. There are only a couple of options spindle wise, and a few more brake options.

Walt

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey everyone,
sorry I have been away for a while, but I'm back for a little while now. In any case, can someone please explain whether or not I would have to change my brakes when going with an OEM style spindle. I need to get started on this ASAP so any info helps.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts