Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am familiar with the quirks of the rack install with SBC and LSx family but I will be doing a conversion on a straight six and need to know what pan works best and if anybody has a line on one.CBR says 250 truck pan,are all six cylinder rear sump pans the same? Like Camaro,Chevelle,Impala?Also when using a Clifford headers are there any steering shaft issues.Thanks:D

·
Registered
542 Posts
i got a used "generic" rear sump pan off ebay . i say generic because it was listed as used , but didnt say what it was from . i just did a CBR rack and the only mod i had to do beside the rear sump pan was notch the driver side motor mount to clear the shaft extending from the steering column.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know,did you use a stock exhaust manifold?Notching the motor mount is common

·
Registered
850 Posts
I did that swap in my 65 the frame perch needs to be notched at an angle not much maybe the bottom inch. No interference with the clifford headers with the steering linkage as well. You will need a rear sump pan with this conversion the front sump pan will not clear the rack.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry Bryan,I ment the frame mount.Its only a little and it seems to vary a little from car to car.
Basicly trimming the lip off of a OEM frame mount

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did that swap in my 65 the frame perch needs to be notched at an angle not much maybe the bottom inch. No interference with the clifford headers with the steering linkage as well. You will need a rear sump pan with this conversion the front sump pan will not clear the rack.
I know about the rear sump pan and the related dip stick issues.Good to hear the Clifford headers do not create any issues.Would you happen to have any pictures:eek:

Oh also looking for a rear sump pan and pick up tube

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Bryan, you will need to clearance the frame mount just a bit:yes:
Joe, Thanks.

Sorry Bryan,I ment the frame mount.Its only a little and it seems to vary a little from car to car.
Basicly trimming the lip off of a OEM frame mount.
Brian, Thanks.

I am starting the install process of the CBR rack and pinion on my 66. This is just one more small bit of info that is needed.

Bryan

·
Registered
850 Posts
I know about the rear sump pan and the related dip stick issues.Good to hear the Clifford headers do not create any issues.Would you happen to have any pictures:eek:

Oh also looking for a rear sump pan and pick up tube
Send me your email I have a bunch I can send you when I get home.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Sorry for the hijack On the V8 notching - wouldn't moving the upper joint at the steering column toward the firewall bring that angle down and eliminate the need to cut the lip on the frame portion if the mount?

Or is there not enough room to move the joint back that far ? I'm going to be starting mine j about two weeks.

Thx

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for the hijack On the V8 notching - wouldn't moving the upper joint at the steering column toward the firewall bring that angle down and eliminate the need to cut the lip on the frame portion if the mount?

Or is there not enough room to move the joint back that far ? I'm going to be starting mine j about two weeks.

Thx

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
You can make changes this way,they all seem to fit a little different.67 and column shift have the joint closer to the firewall

·
Registered
25 Posts
We have a rear sump Chevelle pan. Just set the motor in last Monday with the rack installed looks to fit nicely.
Where did you find one? I want to keep the 194 in my car since it is the original engine, but want to get the R&P steering to work. Trying to make sure that I can purchase everything in advance before I tear down the Nova.

I have been told that a rear sump oil pan from a 250ci truck engine would work, but I was always worried that it would be much deeper and closer to the ground. Do you have any pics of the Chevelle oil pan? What year and from what engine would allow for the conversion?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts