Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that sometimes .. like 3 times in a weekend drive.. I will get pretty solid resistance when turning.. mainly to the left more than a casual curve kinda turn.

It feels like something is fighting me. Like a little more than losing power assist. I dont see any cause for physical interference in the steering linkage.. not sure what else to look for or how to test the R&P itself.. thoughts?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Check the Allen screws, sometimes if they are close to something they can hit. Also, maybe you need to "Burp" the system.

·
Vendor
4,050 Posts
This is not an uncommon situation. Many times just as mentioned the set screws will come loose and cause a binding situation. This can be intermittent at times when the DD shaft moves in too far and makes contact with the inner universal joint. The joint makes contact and pushes the shaft back to its home position. Moral of the story...put an allen wrench on the set screws.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have noticed that sometimes .. like 3 times in a weekend drive.. I will get pretty solid resistance when turning.. mainly to the left more than a casual curve kinda turn.

It feels like something is fighting me. Like a little more than losing power assist. I dont see any cause for physical interference in the steering linkage.. not sure what else to look for or how to test the R&P itself.. thoughts?
Did you get 'er fixed? What was it?

thanks,
Art

Check the Allen screws, sometimes if they are close to something they can hit. Also, maybe you need to "Burp" the system.
I'm having the same issue. I'll check the screws, but was curious into bleeding the system. Is it there a recommended procedure for an R&P setup? Youtube university has way too many ways to do it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My issue was indeed the set screws on the ujoint. I was able to easily see this while the motor was out of the car.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
all the ones I have done I dimple the shaft and Loctite the allen and the jam nut

1 - 7 of 7 Posts