Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is bad timing. I finally finished my ride and now with this situation going on in the world the break in process is going to have to wait. I rented a storage spot at work since the MWR auto hobby shop is right next door, incase I needed to use their car lift and all other tools I don't have at home. Also, with non-essential personnel being asked to stay home this really is bad timing.

Anyways, it's maiden voyage off the trailer, puttering a few blocks around base, and into her temporary new home, I noticed that the rear ride is pretty stiff. I'm running CBR's 2" lower springs with some nothing special KYB shocks. Do leaf springs need to "break in" or is it a case of just having to get used to them.

Being that they're lowering springs will probably make the ride stiffer, but I just wanted get any feedback from anyone running theses same leaf springs.

A few pics just for kicks..

thanks for any input

Be safe and stay healthy.....and at home!

IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
New multi leaf spring are going to be a bit more firm and KYB’s are gas charged shocks which will add more resistance to the new springs. Since these are lowering springs you might want to make sure you don’t have an interference issue with the shocks being too long and bottoming out internally. Also, if I remember correctly your axle was narrowed and the leaf springs were moved inboard.. If you have shocks for a stock application 63 Nova and now the ride height and spring by location has been altered you could be out of compression travel range in the shocks.. Push down on the rear bumper and see if it bottoms out. If it doesn’t move at all, you are probably riding on the shocks at or near fully compressed.. New springs should be broken in in 500-1500 miles..

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:LOL::ROFLMAO: What’s up Joe. I’m laughing my ass off because I never thought of that. And the facts you pointed out are things Ishould have known about my own build :LOL::ROFLMAO:. Kinda makes me feel like an idiot but ain’t nothing wrong with a laughing idiot. Too funny bro! Well I just got an email from the base about limited access, so looks like I won’t know if I’m riding on fully compressed shocks for a while.

Thanks Joe. Be safe!

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I know about interference because I’ve been there too. My 64 had some goofy home made long shackles on the rear with air shocks and stock mono leafs.. When I lowered the car I figured the air shocks shouldn’t be a problem. But I was wrong.. lol.. They weren’t installed correctly and were a little bit longer(1”) then the KYBs I have in there now.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Hey there Smo'k . . . . . .
Man, ol' Joe is right there on top of things ………………………………… Why we Keep him around ……. (y) .

:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts