Chevy Nova Forum banner

Church Boys Racing suspension VS. CPP Sub-Frame Kit

1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '66 sedan that i plan on upgrading the entire front suspension. I was pretty well sold on using all church boys racing stuff until i saw this sub-frame kit from CPP.http://www.classicnova.com/product.asp?specific=1555
I was looking at the delux combo kit. Now that seems like an extremly low price considering what you get!! It seems a little "too good to be true" in my opinion. Makes me question the quality of the parts. Has anyone used this kit and how is the quality? So which company/products is better? Please give me opinions, thoughts, comments, experiences, adivice!!! Thanks in advanced for the help

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Many SNS members have had bad ball joints with the CPP kit. They had the car up in the air with no tension on the suspension. They take the car to get the front end aligned. The shop tells them, you have bad Ball joints. Zero miles on the parts. CPP had a thread on this site talking about this issue. CPP was even talking about selling the kit without ball joints. The ball joints would have to be purchased by the owner. This way the ball joint manufacture is responsible for safety of the parts.

I have CBR lower arms, upper arms and their sway bar. (Church bar). In the next month or so I plan on purchasing their Rack and Pinion set up for my car.
I will always recomend CBR for our Novas.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
I don't think you'll ever go wrong with something from CBR. I personally do not own their suspension, but I do have their headers (SUPER nice quality). Everything I've ever heard on here about their stuff is that it is perfect.

Chuck is a 100% standup guy, has a lot of presence on here, and can probably answer every single detailed question you could ever throw at him about his stuff.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya i have talked to chuck on here a few times and on the phone. Very nice guy and helped me plan my sequence of upgrades for my front end. I had a feeling everyone would agree on CBR stuff but i just wanted everyones thoughts just incase i missed something.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
I only have their headers but....
I have worked on a guys car with Chucks stuff on it and the stuff looks great.
Also all I hear from people with Chucks stuff is how great it is and how great it performs. I also met Chuck and Chuck SR. these guys are 1st class all the way...

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
So far it looks to be a no brainer! :yes:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I have opted for CBR rack, uppers, and coil overs. All things being equal, it comes down to customer service after the sale. Chuck has always taken the time to talk with me about CBR products and Nova's in general. My recent experience with CPP has left me with a sour taste in that regard.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Just to be fair, CPP may have had an issue with their ball joints but, and this is just my opinion, I think it was an isolated incident in which they got a bad batch of ball joints and didn't find out until some of the members actually got their kits installed and put a few miles on it. They claim that they've taken care of the issue and I haven't seen anyone else post any comments disputing this so I would imagine that the issue has been resolved.

That being said, I have personally met Chuck and his dad and, as others have already said, they are great people to deal with. I think both companies are great. I haven't used either of their products so I can't speak from experience but I wouldn't hesitate to use either although some have noted that CPP may have some other small issues with their front end kits. A search should yield you some of those comments if you're seriously thinking of buying either companies products.

John

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Just to be perfectly clear, honest & straight forward, CPP has had many other issues besides balljoints & boots.

Search the SNS, there are threads and posts (that didn't get altered or deleted) that will help.

·
Vendor
105 Posts
They are both nice products, Anyways anyone having problems with the balljoints hit me up, and if you indeed were one of the few that got bad joints let get them replaced. I can honestly say for money there is not a better kit on the market, both kits are super nice and are a major upgrade to anyones stock Nova.:clap: Oh yeah on a sidenote the new power steering box for these cars is getting very very close!!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Church Boys is also more expensive, but there stuff does look amazing. I have the cpp brakes and front end rebuild kit. I do like them. But I want to get the lower control arm cpp for 399 or cbr for 550.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Church Boys is also more expensive, but there stuff does look amazing. I have the cpp brakes and front end rebuild kit. I do like them. But I want to get the lower control arm cpp for 399 or cbr for 550.
a difference of $150.00 when comparing the actual components that make up the kit, and the feedback on those components, and it should be a no-brainer...

·
Vendor
105 Posts
a difference of $150.00 when comparing the actual components that make up the kit, and the feedback on those components, and it should be a no-brainer...
Yeah what he said, coke or Pepsi. Both Kits heavily tested and are major upgrades to a stock Nova, someguys like blondes others like redheads, i like em both! LOL :yes:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I just got my car aligned with the CPP Kit this morning and I am plesently surprised with how nicely my car drives for what it is. I drove it around for an at least an hour today. Its a funny feeling because I'm not use to the steering wheel tracking streight as an arrow. I keep imagining that the alignment will fall apart but it holds up nicely:eek: :D :D :D

The CBR stuff is really nice but in my experience the CPP kit still offers a big improvement over the stock suspension. I added a disc brake kit and ball bearing idler arm kit. All together I think it is what most people are looking for when it comes to improving one of these front ends.

I've owned my Nova for almost 9 years to the day. When I look back I sometimes wish I could go back in time and install a sub-frame kit the day I bought it lol Neither one of these kits where available at that time. If you didn't have the funds for an aftermarket clip you almost had to live with the stock lower control arms/strut rods assemblies .

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
The only thing I can think to add to this is that there are several people here (myself included) who have removed CPP products in order to install CBR products. I don't know of anyone who has removed CBR products to install CPP products. That should tell you something if you think about it just a little bit.

1 - 20 of 213 Posts