Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using upper and lower CBR arms with stock steering and Chevelle disc brakes and were you able to get more front fender lip to wheel clearance. Have a 63 stock arms with Chevelle disc brakes and Chevelle Rally wheels 14x6 with 195x70r tires. Tires never rub with driver but will with a passenger. I do have extended fender braces.

·
Vendor
4,056 Posts
My upper arms will offer a bit of relief, but not 100%. Your brakes are the biggest culprit with pushing the wheels out 5/8" per side. By installing our upper arms we move the upper ball joint back giving you an over abundance of positive caster. You can then use our lower arms to adjust the lower ball joint back as well and then you have a bit more front fender lip clearance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ran into this problem this summer. Chevelle disc brakes from right stuff, 15x6 wheels. Rubbed bad. Spaced fenders, still rubbed. Put in CBR uppers (awesome), still rubbed. Changed to 15x6 with 4” backspace, no problem at all. Backspace is the key. 195/65/15 tires.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds very promising, and I have been saving for the upper and lower CBR control arms but I am concerned that because the arms position the ball joint back some so it seems to me that the spindle, steering arms and drag link will move back also creating interference with oil pan. I am currently using the front sump original nova V8 pan and the drag link almost rubs the pan. Am I wrong? Will I have to use shorter steering arms? I went with Chevelle brakes way back when it was the only thing on the market. The 14x6 do have 4 1/4 back space. Mean while I will see if I can space out the fender some more. Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sounds very promising, and I have been saving for the upper and lower CBR control arms but I am concerned that because the arms position the ball joint back some so it seems to me that the spindle, steering arms and drag link will move back also creating interference with oil pan. I am currently using the front sump original nova V8 pan and the drag link almost rubs the pan. Am I wrong? Will I have to use shorter steering arms? I went with Chevelle brakes way back when it was the only thing on the market. The 14x6 do have 4 1/4 back space. Mean while I will see if I can space out the fender some more. Thanks
I"ve run chevelle brakes for around 20 years and never had an issue with rubbing tires (14x6 wheels) or drag link rubbing oil pan even after I did the CBR conversion

Attachments

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Lou, nice ride and inspiring to know that it should all work out. Still planning on getting the arms soon, might start with the lowers first. For now I was able to add a longer spacer on the fender brace and got rid of the rub.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am running cbr lowers and chevelle brakes. Had the same issue. Had my 14” rally’s re spaced and the problem was solved. I added 3/4” of back space.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scott, interesting. What is your total back space now? How did you get them re-spaced, it will help others if you let us know how it was done and what specialty shop did you use. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts