Chevy Nova Forum banner

Which suspension is best?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this may be a bit unfair to CBR due to their 4 link being so new and no one really having a chance to test it yet (other than super chevy). I will say that i have and love their R&P conversion kit and will be getting their upper control arms soon.

But now the rear of my '66 needs some upgrades! The car is 90% street driven with a few times a summer going to the drag strip for open track nights.

So my question is, which one these suspensions will have good street manners, comfortable ride and still be able to handle the occasional drag strip or autocross? I should also mention that i possibly plan to run air ride instead of coil overs. ADVICE WELCOME!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'll say CBR as you're running the front components... keep it all the same...
I was thinking the same thing but from what i've seen,the CBR kit is going to be $500 more than the TCI 4-link. Am i missing something?

IMO, a four link is a good choice for a drag style car. Not to say that a torque arm can't but I would be inclined to run a torque arm if I was trying to build a corner carver.

John
I do agree with what you're saying but i want to have the best of both worlds if possible! still the 4 link?

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
I do agree with what you're saying but i want to have the best of both worlds if possible! still the 4 link?
Best of both worlds? Not possible, technically speaking. They're 2 different types of suspensions but since you said you wouldn't be running the car on a competitive level I would go with the Torque Arm. Why? Since you'll be running your car mainly on the street the TA will give you a little more lateral performance so when you're in the mood for some "spirited" driving on the street you'll be able to benefit from improved lateral rigidity it will provide you. When you autocross it and actually push the TA you will get to experience what it's real benefits are. The 4 link will benefit you more in drag/straightline performance. For me the TA wins since it improves the handling in 2 categories, street and autocross, rather than just one. Torque Arm will be good but not as great as the 4 link at the strip. If you go with a TA add a panhard bar or watts link and that bad boy will handle like an STI in the corners!:devil:

Had you said you were going to run competitively I would have gone with a 4 link but I would run a triangulated style one like DSE's. Main benefit to that would be the lower unsprung weight of the 4 link versus the TA.

John

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
not ta be a meanie... but before everyone starts comparing this vs that... does everyone know exactly what "that" is?

the CBR unit is a 4 bar set up... so is that a 4 link?

maybe Mr Church should chime in and get some clarification on his unit so folks don't out recommend him without knowing what they're recommending for or against... yes?

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
The CBR 4-link is triangulated...the TCI 4-link is not....

I would be concerned with the ground clearance of the torque arm for daily driving.....

Only you can decide what your needs are. Don't let your wallet dictate a choice you won't be happy with. Compare all variables. I have found that you can't go by a picture on a website, as all things in the picture are not included in the advertised price, there are "options", and they usually come at a cost....

T,

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so what exactly is the major difference between a 4-link and a triangulated 4-link? which is better for street use? Is anyone on this forum running any of these setups (4-link, tri. 4-link, or TA) that could chime in with ground clearance issues or ride concerns?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
well i'm certainly no expert but i'd think a triangulated system will keep the diff square in the frame rails without needing a panard or watts bar to keep the diff from floating around.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
so what exactly is the major difference between a 4-link and a triangulated 4-link? which is better for street use? Is anyone on this forum running any of these setups (4-link, tri. 4-link, or TA) that could chime in with ground clearance issues or ride concerns?
In a nutshell the triangulated 4 link doesn't allow side to side movement as it is, where a parallel 4-link needs an additional pan hard bar. Also, you get more articulation and hardly any bind as opposed to the parallel setup.

GM has been using this type of setup since the early 60's. Look under a Chevelle sometime and you'll see a triangulated 4 link.

T,

·
Vendor
1,433 Posts
So my question is, which one these suspensions will have good street manners, comfortable ride and still be able to handle the occasional drag strip or autocross? I should also mention that i possibly plan to run air ride instead of coil overs. ADVICE WELCOME!!
I believe that any one of the three will accomplish your goals.

However, when comparing just our two suspension systems I think the 4-Link would be the best option. It's no secret that the 4-Link is a fully capable street/strip suspension system. What you may not know though is our car ran 48.50 mph through the slalom with the 4-link on 200 treadwear 275 tires so it is certainly no slouch when it comes to handling either.

-J

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
by the way it sounds, i cant really go wrong with any of the choices. i would like to get the CBR kit just to maintain the same companies products throughout the car. my only concern is that their kit is so new that possibly there will still be some bugs to work out. decisions decisions!!!

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
by the way it sounds, i cant really go wrong with any of the choices. i would like to get the CBR kit just to maintain the same companies products throughout the car. my only concern is that their kit is so new that possibly there will still be some bugs to work out. decisions decisions!!!
I would have to agree with you. Any of them will put a smile on your face. The difference would be noticeable if you were really pushing the car hard a lot of the time which I don't think you'll be doing so whichever is cheapest/easiest to install would probably be the best choice for what you want.

John

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Don't be fooled by the "new" kit. You can bet your bottom dollar Chuck has already wrung this thing out before he sells it, as with all his parts. He ran his 4-link at the suspension challenge behind a 500+ HP 416 LS engine....PM him and ask him what his numbers were..... :devil:

Ask yourself this, have YOU had to work out any "bugs" in CBR's parts after you installed them.....?

T,

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't be fooled by the "new" kit. You can bet your bottom dollar Chuck has already wrung this thing out before he sells it, as with all his parts. He ran his 4-link at the suspension challenge behind a 500+ HP 416 LS engine....PM him and ask him what his numbers were..... :devil:

Ask yourself this, have YOU had to work out any "bugs" in CBR's parts after you installed them.....?

T,
you make a good point! i love my front suspension and have had no issues! im a subscriber to super chevy, hotrod, and carcraft so i read the review from the suspension challenge and was pretty impressed. i think i am going to end up going with CBR. i just always like some reasurrance from you all!!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I am a little late to this dance. I am installing the TCI TA on my '63. When I bought it I got it because it was different and I have no interest in drag racing. The roads around my house look like they threw out a handful of string and said "There's our road. Lets build it.":devil:
With 26" tires I will have about 5-6" of ground clearance at the rear end, but it is no lower that the lower shock mounts on my 9". Then I have that torque arm that angles up toward the front of the car. I am worried about dragging it going over speed bumps. But I do not plan on my car being a grocery getter either.:no:
For what it is worth I have heard nothing but great reviews on CBR's stuff. I'm a get one manufacture and stick with it kind of guy. So IMHO if you started with CBR you should stick with it. It was designed to work together.:yes: And I am sure CBR has fully flogged it before they released it to us.:yes:

1 - 20 of 86 Posts