Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got this block sittin in my garage and i dont know what it came out of or the year or anything. the casting numbers on the back of the block are 3970010. the ones on the front are v0829TJC. can you help me out?

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
An "010" block is a good block for a build up because they supposedly had a high nickel content and are stronger than an average sbc block.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so it sounds like it would be a good motor for my nova. its a 4 bolt main so would it be strong enough to build a 383 out of it? thanks guys

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yeah assuming it's not cracked or something.It would make a great block to build a stroker into.Have you measured the bore or anything?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i havent measured it yet but i know its bored .30 over cuz i have the flat top pistons that came out of it and they say .30

·
Registered
211 Posts
The 010 that is supposedly the sign of a high nickel block is not the casting number with the 010 but actually a number cast into the block behind the timing chain. Other blocks have different #s such as 020 etc. Still not sure about whether its factual or not but I have had several 3970010 blocks with different #s behind the timing chain and some were 010 some were not. Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts