Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody got 5+ degrees of positive caster out of there stock 1st or 2nd gen Nova? I was at a car show today and a man told me , no problem geting 5+ degrees pos caster out of a stock suspension. He also said that his stock suspension is very stable at 110 MPH. Responses?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had no problem getting +5° caster from my 67 stock front suspension.

One potential problem is the tire hitting the front of the wheel cutout on a 66-67. It's probably similar on a 62-65 but I don't have direct experience. I have a 25.3" tall front tire and it's close.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I would think the baseline caster angle should be around 5-7* positive caster. Caster angle is what makes the steering return to center.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All these fancy companies have led us to believe that only there stuff can get that 5+ caster in our cars. Oh well fooled me!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I had a lot of caster cranked into my sedan when it was a drag only car and trailered to the track. When I pulled it apart to put it on the street, I saw the lower control arms had been pulled so far forward they were rubbing on the frame U-brackets where the arm attaches. With open exhaust, I never heard it.

So yes, you can pull in the caster but it will put a lot of side load on the control arm bushing and possibly gouge up your control arms. I was going to put a shim or two between the upper control arm and the body at the front mounting bolt this time but got Church Boys upper arms instead.

·
Registered
878 Posts
In addition to the usual reasons for added caster I like that it adds steering input on a car with power steering.
PS in older cars has typically been a love-hate deal for me. I love it in a parking lot and hate it at highway speeds. Lots of caster helps quite a bit with the latter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts