Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new cast eagle crank for my engine buildfor $75. Looking to make 500+hp 500 tq, street strip motor. Will be running a transbrake and street drag radials. Can i get away with this crank, will a scat 9000 series be better or go forged. Obviously if i can stay with the crank i have it would be great. Awesome price.

·
Registered
290 Posts
well most guys who run a t brake usaully have more than 500 hp, if your running a t brake i assume your goin to be adding more power in the future. do your self a favor and go forged unless your never goin to exceed the 500 hp barrier

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I ran 9's with a cast 400 crank; hundreds of dyno pulls, tens of thousands of miles on the street, hundreds and hundreds of passes, many bottles of nitrous--that crank is still in my shop today- It mags fine, but who's to say it wouldn't snap like a twig on it's next pass?
Another engine I built had a Chinese cast crank; it ran low 10's without nitrous, but the engine was sold before I put many miles on it.

Some people could break an anvil with a rubber mallet!

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I broke a GM nitrated forged steel crank in a 468 BBC. It was about 6 yrs old but was checked and showed no cracks but failed after 25 passes on a total freshen up. When it broke it ruined the block, ruined the timing chain and gears, bent two rods and ruined one piston, bent half the valves in the motor, hurt several roller lifters and a bunch of push rods. So how good a motor are you building and if the $75. crank fails how much are you willing to loss? Personally I would not run a cast china crank in a motor making that kind of power but do what you feel is best.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
I bought a new cast eagle crank for my engine buildfor $75. Looking to make 500+hp 500 tq, street strip motor. Will be running a transbrake and street drag radials. Can i get away with this crank, will a scat 9000 series be better or go forged. Obviously if i can stay with the crank i have it would be great. Awesome price.
How lucky are ya feelin? I wouldn't.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I built my 383 with the Scat 9000 cast crank and King bearings, Scat Procomp I beams(7/16" ARP rod bolts), Probe pistons. It's been seeing hard street use to 6500 rpms and has seen 6700 a couple of times. Should go about 525 hp(I hope) and been driving it for a year now with over 2500 miles on it. :yes::D:yes:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Im running a stock cast 350 crank stock rods with arp bolts summit cheap hyper pistons hyd comp roller my 75 nova weighs 3870 with me in it i went 12.98 at 111mph 60ft a sad 2.4 on street tires i have ran it this way for 2 years with no problem i did a loud pypes contest took it up past 7000rpm a few times to take the win : ) but who knows how long it will last. I know i am pushing the limits my next build will have a forged crank so i have to ask you this is this a 500hp that you will run one to two years. Or a engine that you wont have to worry about or build again.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I know i am pushing the limits my next build will have a forged crank so i have to ask you this is this a 500hp that you will run one to two years. Or a engine that you wont have to worry about or build again.
I run mine hard and not worried about it at all. I plan on running it for 6,8,10 years until it needs a freshening if I still have the car. I do fully expect it to run 11.30- 11.50s. I built it with the intention it would go 11.50's, my last Nova(71) was my only car and driver for 4 of the 6 years I owned it and it ran 11.60s.

·
Registered
700 Posts
well forged would allways be my frist choice, i used many cast eagle cranks for circle track drag and street
the key in my mind is having it balanced correctly ,eagle cranks unlike some other china cranks normally come with rough balance weight of 1900 for a small block old stock gm cranks are about 1950

so if you are going to exceed 4500 , as far as i am concerned it must be balanced to match your piston /rod combo

someone will say i bought a balanced crank then tell me you are using piston rods the got other places , if they were not all in the same place at one time they probably are not balanced the just think because it has a bobweight

and many times some one will bring a failed engine and i will find external flywheels on internal balanced ,this is a problem you run into on building 383 and 400 ,454

it will be the best 200-300 you spent

1 - 12 of 12 Posts