Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this an accurate way to measure carrier bearing preload?

Using an in/lbs torque wrench on the pinion nut.
(Total Preload minus Pinion Preload) multiplied by Gear Ratio equals Carrier Bearing Preload

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Don't overcomplicate it. As it was explained to me, just put the in/lbs bar style torque wrench on the nut and turn it. If I remember correctly it was only 12 in/lbs of drag (on my '89 Suburban 10 bolt, anyway). That one ran quiet as a church mouse for years afterward.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For a new pinion bearing I'm aiming for 20-25 in/lbs preload for the pinion alone. The carrier bearings need to have 10-15 in/lbs preload. But plugging those numbers into my equation using a 4.33 gear I only come up with an additional 2.3-3.4 in/lbs drag on the pinion. My torque wrench is simply not that precise. There has to be another way.

I'm guessing that on a suburban you can just reuse all the shims and the preload is automatically set. I'm doing this on a 9" Ford and I need to set the carrier bearing preload using the spanners. I guess I should have clarified that from the beginning, sorry about the confusion.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"29. After Pattern And Backlash Have Been Determined To Be Correct, You Need To Ensure That Side Adjusters Are Snugged Up By Hand Only On Both Sides. Side Adjusters Need To Then Be Adjusted Tighter, To Create A Preload On Differential Bearings. Each Side Adjuster Needs To Be Moved In .004 To .006 Inches For New Bearings Or .003-.004 For Used Bearings. There Are Holes Located On Each Side Adjuster. Rotating The Adjuster To Move From One Hole To The Next Will Give You .005 Inches Of Preload For Each Hole To Hole Distance. You Will Have To Eye This And Move The Adjusters Accordingly. If You Have Access To A Case Spreader, You Can Spread The Main Case The Correct Amount, And Then Just Snug Up The Adjusters By Hand."

So according to this using used bearing I would need to adjust each spanner to hand tight then turn each side nearly one more hole but no than one since I'm looking for an addition .003-.004 and one entire hole is .005. Correct? I need to write this down somewhere so I don't forget.

Thanks for the link, it was HUGE help! I'm using instruction from Richmond Gear and they completely glossed over this area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts