Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the car back from the body shop. Interior is gutted. About to install dynamat and then carpet.

Any time saving tips/advice? Adhesive use? Bolt holes?

Seems pretty basic, just going to require lots of time

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
i thought i read in here once to install the seat bolts an seat belt bolts first to make it easy to find the holes after the mat is down.

·
Registered
301 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
i thought i read in here once to install the seat bolts an seat belt bolts first to make it easy to find the holes after the mat is down.
Absolutely you should put any bolts, screws, etc. back in before you lay the mat down so you can find them and cut the mat out around them. If you forget to put them in, then you end up crawling under your car and ramming an awl through the hole to spot them.

Take your time and don't rush it.

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
Make sure the surface is as clean as possible. I used a heat gun and warmed the surface as well as the mat while installing. I think it helps the adhesion process.

·
Premium Member
3,482 Posts
I also used a heat gun when I installed my FatMat. It also cam with a little wooden roller to help with the install.

·
Registered
1963 Nova coupe, Phoenix Arizona
2,007 Posts
I cut the fatmat to size then taped half of it down where I wanted it to go. Folded it back on itself and removed half of the backer like stickers are cut then stick that half then repeat on the other half. I hope that makes sense? Just found it easier to get the pieces positioned. Used Dap weldwood landau contact cement and a cheap HF spray gun to install 1/2” jute and the carpet I custom made. I used a pencil sized soldering iron sharpened to a point to melt holes through the carpet for the bolts, leaves a nice hole and the carpet won’t fray.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. Some really good tips here. Much appreciated

Dothe floorboards have to be totally clean? There’s some leftover glue bits from the old carpet that will take forever to remove. Besides that they’re not bad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts