Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those interested,i thought i'd supply some additional photos showing our new design for a safe,stable rotisserie.this has been built for 62-67 novas specifically,but could easily be adapted to fit several makes and models.
for those that caught the earlier thread,you'll notice that we've now added castors that easily attach and dettach for quick re-location to another side of the rig.
as a footnote you'll notice several pic's of my 63 wagon mini-tub project.
enjoy!
leftcoast carl.:)

NEW REMOVABLE CASTOR POCKETS !!! THEY HAVE NO BOLTS AND SIMPLY SLIDE OFF THE BOTTOM AND THE WEIGHT OF THE ROTISSERIE KEEPS THEM LOCKED IN PLACE.

MINITUB UPDATE. "NEW" RAILS MOVED INBOARD OF THE NOTCHED FACTORY RAILS.THE FOLLOWING PICTURES(WITH CARDBOARD MOCK-UP) SHOW HOW WE'LL CAP THE 2 RAILS TO MAKE ONE,KEEPING AN O.E.M. APPEARANCE.

WHEN COMPETED.THIS WILL REMAIN A 4 DOOR WAGON THAT WILL ACCEPT A 35/17/305 REAR TIRE AND WILL SPORT A 406cid SMALLBLOCK AND A T-56 SIXSPEED WITH A 9",ETC....
thanks for looking:D
leftcoast carl.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Nice work. Are just moving the springs ane perches in to match the new frame rails? What are you bridging the frame rails with?

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice work. Are just moving the springs ane perches in to match the new frame rails? What are you bridging the frame rails with?
there will be a couple of cross braces and a heavy boxed crossmember at the rail ends.the bracing will be tucked under the fuel tank and we'll also tuck the fuel tank "up",as the stock tank location looks terrible and hangs way lower than it needs to.
the spring perch will be removed and replaced with our own boxed design.
thanks for the feedback.
leftcoast carl.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Nice work Carl! Bring that with you the next time you come to Vegas!:D
Nick, I've seen your garage, yu couldn't roll your car in it. Which brings up my one question....

How much space is required to turn a car 180* ? On an old school rotissory you only need the width of the car.

And how many people do you need to safely rotate, lift, roll, lift rotate etc to get a car turned?:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nick, I've seen your garage, yu couldn't roll your car in it. Which brings up my one question....

How much space is required to turn a car 180* ? On an old school rotissory you only need the width of the car.

And how many people do you need to safely rotate, lift, roll, lift rotate etc to get a car turned?:confused:
50% more width(than the rotisserie's width) will allow the rotation. 2 large men can rotate the car.we roll it an 1/8th turn and then slide it back to where we started the roll for the next turn.it isn't rotated without some effort,but again the goal was to have a safer,more stable rotisserie.
leftcoast carl.:)

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts

I thinking four gladiators could pick it up and spin it in place.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
there will be a couple of cross braces and a heavy boxed crossmember at the rail ends.the bracing will be tucked under the fuel tank and we'll also tuck the fuel tank "up",as the stock tank location looks terrible and hangs way lower than it needs to.
the spring perch will be removed and replaced with our own boxed design.
thanks for the feedback.
leftcoast carl.
that is going to be some interesting work. Need to post lots of progress pics for us rookies.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Looks good! I just got the floors back in mine and already have them clearanced for the T56. Just primed the floor and have Lizardskin ready to go on. I am getting ready to do the minitub on it, too, so I can fit my 315-35-17 Nitto DRs on there. I have a lift, so I have better access than crawling under jackstands, but a rotisserie would be awesome. I will keep watching your progress.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks good! I just got the floors back in mine and already have them clearanced for the T56. Just primed the floor and have Lizardskin ready to go on. I am getting ready to do the minitub on it, too, so I can fit my 315-35-17 Nitto DRs on there. I have a lift, so I have better access than crawling under jackstands, but a rotisserie would be awesome. I will keep watching your progress.
i have a hoist too,but you only have to be burnt so many times welding overhead to consider a better way.i think we've found it.
please post some pic's of your tranny tunnel if you can.
thanks!
leftcoast carl.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Agreed! I wear long leather gloves and a wet towel on my head and neck. It sucks, but having the lift kicks *** for other reasons, too. I still think a rotisserie would be a much easier way to do what I am doing, I just don't have the room for it. Great work!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Agreed! I wear long leather gloves and a wet towel on my head and neck. It sucks, but having the lift kicks *** for other reasons, too. I still think a rotisserie would be a much easier way to do what I am doing, I just don't have the room for it. Great work!

Haaa!!! I can relate!! At least you have a lift. I was on my back, on the creeper while the car was maybe 12 inches off the ground. Welding in the heavy stuff, 220 welder on full tilt. Dialing it in for wire feed speed. Ooops, too slow, here comes a nice hot glob on me, and the full leathers help. Till the glob that dropped wants to roll (and they seem to roll for days) right on down into my neck OUCH!!! Thats gonna leave a mark. Time to increase the wire feed...

I wish I had the lifts you guys have or even a sump in the ground to work from. Things get tight under jack stands.

And man my neck muscles were screamin. Holding yer head up off the creeper to get a sight on the weld bead. Talk about a shaky weld. Errrr!!! To have a lift!!!!!!! JR

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Haaa!!! I can relate!! At least you have a lift. I was on my back, on the creeper while the car was maybe 12 inches off the ground. Welding in the heavy stuff, 220 welder on full tilt. Dialing it in for wire feed speed. Ooops, too slow, here comes a nice hot glob on me, and the full leathers help. Till the glob that dropped wants to roll (and they seem to roll for days) right on down into my neck OUCH!!! Thats gonna leave a mark. Time to increase the wire feed...

I wish I had the lifts you guys have or even a sump in the ground to work from. Things get tight under jack stands.

And man my neck muscles were screamin. Holding yer head up off the creeper to get a sight on the weld bead. Talk about a shaky weld. Errrr!!! To have a lift!!!!!!! JR
I wish I could weld blindly. My friend has learned to weld blindly and I have no clue how he does it. He looks, closes his eyes, and then welds.

·
Registered
397 Posts

I feel for you - been there, done that. Not doing it anymore!! You'd be surprised how inexpensive a lift can be. I know I was surprised!

Besides the cool-factor of having your own lift, it really helps in a LOT of ways. I have done so much fab work that I would never have attempted without the lift just because it is so aggravating doing it on your back.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I wish I could weld blindly. My friend has learned to weld blindly and I have no clue how he does it. He looks, closes his eyes, and then welds.
bad habit, uv rays will still burn the eyes even if they're:eek: closed. ask me how i know

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
bad habit, uv rays will still burn the eyes even if they're:eek: closed. ask me how i know
He doesnt do it like you think. He closes his eyes and faces away. He says he even welds with the mask on without looking. Im just saying he has a way of feeling his welds.

His welds also look alot better than when I look.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Besides the cool-factor of having your own lift,
Exactly!!!! Im mean hell, I have a full on machine shop in my lil garage already, all I need is a proper lift. My prob is I only have about 3' before the roof hits the open garage door Errrr!!! Maybe another 2.5' to the ceiling. I was lusting for grnova's lift when I saw pics of it. OK!!! I gotta stop talking about it. If I start looking at lifts then Ill be stuck till I get one. STOP!!! LOL JR

Umm, ya got any sources, in the concrete lifts?? :D Geez, Im stuck already

1 - 20 of 22 Posts