Chevy Nova Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
6,129 Posts
Another item ................ that I would check . . . . .

on each of u'r carbs - - where the fuel line goes into u'r carbs - - Look at the shape of those top covers .
Generally , where that connection is : there should be (could be) = a fuel filter inside that "round hump" . . . .
unless someone has removed them .
Be AWARE that if you check - for fuel filters in that spot - - - - - - - - - - - - "there IS a small gasket there & be
CAREFUL with that large NUT = do not 'cross-thread' that fitting (very easy too do) ............ AND ...................
Be careful NOT TOO Tighten that NUT TOOOOOOOO Tight . You can Crack the
carb houseing ; very easy ...............................

ask - Me , how I know ............... (been there & ruin a good carb , before) .

jim

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
So . . . . Is the motor I D number (the last two letters) = P V ........... ?

Then , the block casting number : 3859817 = Inliners international = shows that # as :

62 - 78 . . . . 230 / 250 ci engine .

Numbers (inliners.org)

NovaResource.org ................... shows :
For - - the - - P V code in several years :
1965 - P V = 230ci / w 3speed manual trans .
1966 - P V = 230ci / w-3speed manual trans .
1967 - P V = 250cid / w-3speed manual trans.

which type of trans , is in u'r car . . . . ? ?
So , we need too find a year code . . . or . . you could pull a "spark - plug" . . . . and , look at the top of
the "piston" - - - - 230cid = flat top pistons .
250cid = ? ( i for got ) .

jim

Reactions: Stroker Ace Ventura

·
Registered
6,129 Posts

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Thanks , . . . so - I have another question for you .

Can you look under your car = look & tell me = if your engine has the " rear - sump - oil - pan " ? .,......................... or , the front sump oil pan -
And , where is your = "oil dip stick , located" - - (by the starter ......... or ......... by u'r distributor) .

In your picture above - showing u'r motor 'casting number' .... I don't see a dip stick located there = it's = plugged off .

ps - - I'm still looking around . .

jim

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The stock 250 is D shaped dished piston. And from the Looks of what i can see of that oil pan , the motor came from a chevyII body. So the dip stick is up near the dist. But the block looks to be set up to have been used either way center sump or a rear sump.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Thanks , Larry .....................................

I could not remember - - - piston -- (Domed - or - Dished ? ) .

Yes , I agree .................... I have heard that some early motors - - could have
both dip stick locations . Could be ......... (it would be the 1st one that I've ever
seen ........... but , very cool) .

jim

·
Premium Member
8,297 Posts
That 3x2 setup is nice and worth some $. What it needs to to have all three carbs rebuilt and put everything back to like new and go from there. Multi-carbs are more difficult to get setup properly but not too hard.

Here's what I used to run...the legendary Man-A-Fre 4x2!! It uses Rochester 2G carbs.

White Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

I had my carbs professionally-rebuilt to new condition including refinishing by: Hot Rod Carburetion - Hot Rod Carburetors: Rochester Carburetor Service

They also blasted the manifold and ceramic-clear coated it afterwards to make it impervious to fuel and stains.
Product Gas Machine Automotive super charger part Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
64PRONOVA
If you were talking about 65chevy4door his is 3x1b carbs. If it was mine, you commented about it is a 3x4 setup

Attachments

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
there's nothing wrong with a 230 engine ............
Plus , say you could find a stock 230 / 250 intake / exhaust manifold ; and just drive you 65 this way .
While cleaning & getting those 3 carbs working together . Also , for u'r car - itself - you can get driving time
and , checking all those other areas .............. that may need some care down th' road .

just thinking , ahead .

................ I really like those 3 x1's and intake .................. very cool car .
Keep us posted with your choice .

jim

Reactions: Twisted6

·
Registered
119 Posts
Is linkage progressive? If so, disconnect fore and aft carb linkage, fuel lines etc. get running decent on center carb and worry about others later. That’s what worked for me on 389 tri-power GTO I happened onto many years ago…multiple carbs are not easy figure out, esp if trying to rebuild, sync and tune all at once! My $.02, spend how you like.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts