Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I got tired of looking at my ugly rusty made in china one, so I made a prototype for a Carbon Fiber Radiator Support, Overlayed it, need to make a mold, and it'll be perfect, this ones is only 2 ply, single weave, weighs about as much as a pack of smokes

Going to be doing hopefully a lot of nova stuff as we get rolling

Not bad for a layed up in 15 min job, once we have a mold made, they should be as strong with 1/10th the weight, and they look cool! LOL

PS because it wasnt done with a mold, the smooth surface is on the inside, in a molded one, it would be smoother on the outside

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I'll take a 3" cowl hood, a pair of fenders, doors, deck lid, bumpers, bumper brackets, entire core support, inner fenders, dash...........what have I forgotten?

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its actually not that hard

Since my company bought a bunch of hi composite aircraft, they sent us to school to learn this, I go to toolmaking class this summer as well ( mold making ) this plate is actually reversed and not perfect sized, since it was an overlay instead of layed up in a mold

Carbon fiber is a cloth similar to fiberglass, available in many different weaves and colors, how you lay it up, ply orientation is EVERYTHING to the strength

Since were practicing to hone our skills, using dated or unairworthy Carbon Fiber, we get to use the Extremely expensive tools to do this, and since im the adventerous kind, I wanna make Carbon Fiber Nova stuff

lol

So ill continue to practice until mold school, then ill be dangerous as hell, because ill be able to make virtually anything, including fenders, doors, hoods, etc...

I love the ideas, and trust me, the moment I get a mold made, ill post pics of the process

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oooohhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'll take a 3" cowl hood, a pair of fenders, doors, deck lid, bumpers, bumper brackets, entire core support, inner fenders, dash...........what have I forgotten?
Now your talking
inner fender wells for 3rd gens

Sweet idea

Any mods you think would make em nicer?

S

·
Registered
373 Posts
I work with carbon fiber almost everyday. I am aircraft structural maint. in the AF for the C-17 which by the way has a ton of carbon on it. Me personally I cant stand it. Im good at it, as far as making molds and repairs but there is alot of equipment and materials involved in fabricating car and aircraft parts to make them look great. Ill take alum or steel anyday over carbon. We use alot of prepreg.(pre impregnated cloth) Which is awsome. No mess and easy to layup. Ive been messing with carbon, aramid, and fiberglass for 10yrs. If anyone wants to know how to make something or the materials needed to make something hit me up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts