Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i finally got my hands on a nova about 4 days ago and i pretty much got the engine (350) squared away, all that's left is tuning it. First off i just want to say it has a 750 edelbrock carb on it (the guy said it was a 650, but the 1411 part number on it says otherwise) and i know that's way to big but that's what was on it when i bought it. It aslo has a edelbrock single plane intake manifold, and a mild comp cam (he couldnt tell me what cam it is exactly or the duration and lift, sigh...) it runs good and idles fine i just want to tune it and make sure it runs perfect. Research tells me i want my timing around 12-14 BTDC. I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on tuning the carb. I'm EXTREMELY new to carbs and all the instruction on the edelbrock manuel might as well be in another language cuz i dont get all the numbers and stuff. I was wondering if someone can dumb down the instructions for me with info such as "turn the left screwis 1 1/2 turns and the right screw 1 1/4 turns"

Thnx, dont know what i'd do with out you guys and this site!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
First with the engine off turn the idle mix screws in till they stop...but don't crank them down! then back them out 1.5 turns. Start vehicle let warm up and set idle around 700RPM. Check timing, start at 12deg. You may find later on depending on the set up in distributor the engine may like more timing. You're gonna need a timing light with an advance knob to check total timing at 3,000RPM. Two ways you can get the best idle mix setting, one by vacuum and by RPM. From where you set the screws start with one and watch the RPM or vacuum as you turn it inward it should either go up or down. What you want is to achieve the best idle vacuum or RPM with the mix screws. Once you've done that you're good...reset the idle speed to wherever you desire.

Drive it see how she runs.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thnx 6nova4, can i attach the vacuum gauge to the vacuum port of the carb? I ask because my vac gauge doesnt have a threaded end, its just a hose.

Chris

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont know why this is so hard for me, i turn the screws in fully clockwise then 1.5 counter, hook up the vac gauge and start the engine. When i turn the screws one at a time clockwise, there is no vac drop or rise, same with rpm...

I have them at 1.5 counterclock wise and its running ok, it doesnt start right up like it usually does. Btw timing is at 36.

Please help

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts