Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told i can get a little more performance out of my car if i install a carb spacer. I now have an edelbrock R.P.M. airgap dual plane with a750 cfm edelbrock carb. Question is do i use an open spacer or 4 hole 1" adapter.

Thanks.

·
Registered
508 Posts
This weekend I put a 1" spacer, four holes on my intake and I don't like it. The weight of my foot kept me going at 50mph's now I have to step it a little.

I'll be taking it off soon.

I dunno much, but I think it might benefit you more.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
I have been told i can get a little more performance out of my car if i install a carb spacer. I now have an edelbrock R.P.M. airgap dual plane with a750 cfm edelbrock carb. Question is do i use an open spacer or 4 hole 1" adapter.

Thanks.
It can help at the higher RPMs since you're essentially creating more plenum volume. If you do go this route, I would recommend a phenolic spacer to provide the carburetor a little more heat insulation from the manifold. Good luck and let us know how it works with your combination.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I read on several sites, four hole is more for low end and open is more for high end. Only reason I'm looking for one is to insulate my carb from the heat of manifold, as I said on my other post. I don't know about if anyone see's any real power gains though....

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Every engine likes something different, it may or may not like one, but i keep reading that a wilson spacer usually makes around 10+hp.

·
Registered
268 Posts
YEah, those wilsons look pretty bad ***. 30+ hp gains from a little plastic piece though??

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Every engine likes something different, it may or may not like one, but i keep reading that a wilson spacer usually makes around 10+hp.
X2! My combo prefers a open spacer. I didn't like the "feel" of the tapered 4 hole.
In the the defense of the tapered 4 hole I didn't do a jetting change as I would think it pulls harder on the venturi (spelling) so the jets should be leaned out some.

My .02

Chris

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
It depends on the combo, one engine might pick up a bunch with an open spacer, the same engine might pick up with a 4 hole--no 2 engines are the same, and no 2 will respond to a spacer the same. The tapered ones seem to be miracle workers from reading magazines, but we know how those can be.
I know a guy that designed one of the tapered big name pieces on the market, and he claimed to see 20+ on some combos--but zero on others. It can be an expensive crap shoot.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Well I think I'm going get one of these 1/2" thick and see if it will help with the starting when hot problem. I read somewhere that Edelbrock carbs are affected more by heat than others so maybe it'll help. I just don't know whether to get one that's open or the 4 hole style. I also seen one that's like the open one but divided in the middle like the intake.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Is there anyone that you can borrow a few different styles and heights? I'm in the midst of dynoing my 462ci Pontiac and during the 5000 RPM pulls my engine combo really liked the 1.5" spacer better than the 1" spacer to the tune of 15 hp and 25 ft-lb on consecutive pulls. I'm going to try a 2" spacer to compare to the 1.5" at the 6000 pulls.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
i use to run a 1'' open carb spacer on my motor i saw no differance in performance at the track :no: so i took it off and just run carb to manifold :yes: :D if your trying to just cool the carb heat why not try a wood spacer !!!!!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
al long time ago in my other nova 350 ,202 cast iron heads ,LT1 cam , 650 dual feed, double pumper , the car didnt accellerate smoothly and i put on the open spacer on it and it smoothed it right out.big time. my 2 cents.. jim

1 - 20 of 29 Posts