Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is my first post to the forum (and thank you for this forum!).

My 62 Chevy II is having problems that my mechanic says will be fixed by a carb rebuild and then sent me on my way.

I was excited to buy the rebuild kit and by the prospect of spending some quality time with my car... and then it came in the mail, with all the little parts and the measurement tool... and now I'm wondering if I'm in over my head.

I have the original shop manual and the instructions that came with the kit. Is there any other information I could read before attempting this, or any video tutorials out there? Perhaps a special saint I could pray or make offerings to? I should mention that I've never had my hands under the hood of a car before.

Many thanks for your advice,
heather

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
assuming the carb is a 1bbl on a L6.... take pictures with a digital cam... of the carb on the car form at least 3 angles, left, front, right,... once the carb is off. take pics from all four sides...

Get a bucket of "ChemDip carb cleaner" the bucket is about 1/2 gal.... also pick up 2 spray cans of brake clean, and some carb cleaner.... the secret to any rebuilt carb is..... clean... CLEAN CLEAN...CLEAN. use the brake Clean as a final cleaning solution before assembly... Wear safety glasses and rubber gloves...... as you dont want any of these chemicals on your skin....

The rebuild kit should have a exploded view of the carb..... NOTE... carbs kits fit many carbs... the exploded view may not be exactly like yours... but will resemble yours, or may be your exact carb......

If a V8 conversion... and a Rochester Qjet 4bbl, get help if you have never tangled with a carb before.... a qjet is not a good place to start you carb rebuilding lesson... Unless your very adept mechanically....

and By The Way....... Welcome to the site!!!! :pics::pics::pics::pics::pics:

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
If you are that green, probably the best advice would be to have someone hold your hand and walk through it with you. If you want to go it alone find some good illustrations and give it your best shot. It's one of the best ways to learn. Good luck. You should find some good advice here too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Carb removal and rebuild complete

Hi, just an update - and sorry for the delay in thanks for the advice, which was very helpful!

So, today is day 3 of the project. Day 1 I took the carb out, day 2 I took it apart and today I put it back together. Why? Because it is pristine. It looks like it had already been rebuilt. I put the new little parts in anyway and swapped the gaskets (is that how you spell it? I can't believe I even know that word).

I noticed two things - one, there was a main screw (and little metally part that goes around the screw) missing; two, the curved pipe that leads to the fuel inlet (I know that word too!) is kind-of bent in one part in a way that isn't right. It's like it was twisted a little.

I plan on picking up the screw and pipe tomorrow and putting the thing back in the car to see if it starts... I really hope it does. So, that's my update in case anyone was curious. I documented (video/pictures) taking the part out of the car and started to document taking it apart but then I felt like I needed to do it on paper to make sure I remembered exactly what I was doing. My dad had a bit of advice that I used which was to write down how many rotations it took to release screws, etc. The whole thing was a lot of fun. If the car actually starts when I put it back in, this will have been an all around great experience.

Thanks for listening! heather

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Good luck girl...

My daughter is a tackler too... she heads in feet first...(huh) well she has no fear cause daddy is close at hand:rolleyes:

We do lots of work together...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts