Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)Just purchased the Tanks Inc gas tank, fuel pump, sending unit, and a regulator for my 67. Since the in tank pump is really for EFI and I have a carb, I had to buy and install a regulator. My question is has anyone plumbed the fuel supply to the carb, then to the regulator, then to the return line with a carb setup?:confused: I know that it is done with EFI, but I can't seem to find anyone who uses this setup with a carb. The carb is a 750 Quickfuel double pumper. It would make installation a lot easier if this would work. I don't want to mount everything a plumb it only to have to take it out and reinstall it.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I don't know if you can regulate the efi pump down from 40 plus pounds to the 5 or 6 that the carb needs. I think it would be hard on the pump.

·
Registered
62 Posts
if you wanna try to regulate a 40 psi pump down to 6-7 psi for your carb make sure you use a big return line to dump all that fuel back to the tank and not kill your pump. The return line come off the return style regulator back to the tank, it doesn't go from carb to tank. I would see if the maker of the tank sells a pump for carbs that you can use in place of the EFI pump.

·
Registered
1963 Nova coupe, Phoenix Arizona
2,081 Posts
I don't know if you can regulate the efi pump down from 40 plus pounds to the 5 or 6 that the carb needs. I think it would be hard on the pump.
if you wanna try to regulate a 40 psi pump down to 6-7 psi for your carb make sure you use a big return line to dump all that fuel back to the tank and not kill your pump. The return line come off the return style regulator back to the tank, it doesn't go from carb to tank. I would see if the maker of the tank sells a pump for carbs that you can use in place of the EFI pump.
I didn’t think about that, you both have very good points. Probably burn up the pump.

Why did you buy an EFI tank if your just running a carb ?

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn’t think about that, you both have very good points. Probably burn up the pump.

Tanks inc says that you can use this tank and pump for EFI or carb. They even recommend an Edelbrock regulator for it. There are people that use this same setup for a carb with an even larger pump. They run the fuel supply line to the regulator first, then to the carb and the bypass to the return line to the tank. I just wanted to see if it was possible to run it to the carb first.

·
Registered
62 Posts

I bought a EFI pump cause I was goin to do a blown thru turbo. At 0 psi I needed normal carb fuel pressure and as boost was gonna come in I woulda needed more pressure. So say I made 10 psi I woulda need about 10 extra psi so 6-7 plus 10 more would be 16-17 psi of fuel pressure, more than most "carb" fuel pumps make.

oh crap. the question was to the OP. Sorry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts