Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My 65' looses carb prime after sitting a week.

Car won't start after much cranking, can pump throttle and get no gas from the accelorator pump. I give it a little manual prime (gas in top of carb) and it fires and runs fine and accelorator pump works correctly. Then I go for a nice drive and have no further starting issues, until I let it set for a week or more.

Car is equiped with an 600cfm Edlebrock 1405 (manual choke) and a mechanical fuel pump (don't know anything about the pump except that it's chrome).

Any help?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Most likely due to fuel evaporating from the carb. If you want a cure for the problem try running an electric pump. That can prime the carb for you before you try and start it.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I've had that issue on all mine which has been several. I've used glass fuel filters and the fuel travels back towards the tank. Takes a long time to crank and get the fuel primed back up to the carb. Those have all been with mechanical pumps. I've wondered about having a one-way valve on the fuel line. It is annoying.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
The problem is a simple one, your fuel bowls are going dry, it happens to all carbs regardless of brand, if yours is leaking than that is another issue. One week seems a little quick for that to happen, can you adjust the floats higher to keep more fuel in there?.

My demon can go about 2 weeks before it runs dry...

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
The problem is the carb. Even the old cater carbs do this.

The fuel bowl fuel drips threw the main jets and over time just evaporates.

Its a know problem. Just a characteristic of the carb.:eek:

Al

·
Registered
243 Posts
Mine does the same thing also. I don't think it has anything to do with the heat but I decided to go ahead and run a heat sheild anyway. If the weather ever gets any better I'll let you guys know if it helped at all. I figured it couldn't hurt to try it and may help during the warm months.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.