Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to rebuild my 750DP...kit ordered...have carb dip... How long should I dip the carb parts? The directions say something ridiculous like 20 minutes, repeat as necessary. I was thinking more along the lines of a day or so. What's the 'real world' answer?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Do what the instructions say and keep rechecking it every 20 mins or so. To see if it's clean. Kinda wash the carb around in the basket as you go. Don't get that stuff on you're hands you're skin kinda falls off and burns if you leave it on there. Where did you find that stuff I don't think we can get out here in Cali. anymore. RICK

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
we had a 5 gal bucket of the dip in the shop i worked a zillion years ago specifically for aluminum etc parts... we'd leave parts soak over night, wash 'em off in the morning...

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
It's one of the best carb and parts cleaners made. Heres a link to a video using it. RICK

·
Registered
57 Posts
I recently rebuilt my carb and used goodman's 5 gallon dip. My carb was awful and I had a huge varnish build up in my secondary. Scrape each gasket off and toss it in for a good day and it will look brand new. I did take one of my floats off as it was plastic and the other was tin and it will destroy the plastic float. I also made the mistake of leaving my plastic sight plugs on and it totally destroyed them too.

I had an awesome looking carb that ran better than ever.

·
Registered
921 Posts
$25 at the local NAPA store... Yes, I wear gloves and goggles and have good ventilation all that. Nasty stuff.
I used that NAPA Carb cleaner 25+ years ago, Burned my hands for not knowing any better and it stripped all of the cladding off the carb down to bare aluminium. So goggles and elbow length gloves are a must. Glad to see your using them. I may suggest a face shield too in case of any splashing.
I too have a 780 to dip, so I have too see if the dip is available in Oregon.
May even see if I can use the ultra-sonic cleaner at work with the dip to ensure the passages are super clean. I may try the Gunk Dip instead.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
does this dip work on restoring older trim parts?

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
back in the day with real dip we soaked them for 1 hour and rinse with water and blow dry.rember this was at a shop and the car had to go out that day.a carb job only paid 1hr. now the new stuff is weak at least in my area it is.(thanks tree huggers)it takes awhile for it to do a half a** job.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
back in the day with real dip we soaked them for 1 hour and rinse with water and blow dry.rember this was at a shop and the car had to go out that day.a carb job only paid 1hr. now the new stuff is weak at least in my area it is.(thanks tree huggers)it takes awhile for it to do a half a** job.
Yep, back in the good old days we always soaked them for 1-2 hrs, rinse, blow out/off and you were good to go. New stuff not as hot, and won't do as many carbs before it's had enough.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I usually let parts soak in it overnight. The tri power 2bbl carbs I had on my 55 chevy were really gummed up with green slimey varnish from that crappy E10 gas sitting in them. I had to let the carb bodies soak for two days to clean out the bowls. Worked really good on cleaning up the pistons/rods for the v8 that I'm building.
Definately wear gloves. I usually handel the part being soaked with a pair of big pliers as well. Keep a bucket of water handy nearby in case you get any on you.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
It is getting hard to get the good stuff. Years ago I put a set of magnesium vette rocker covers in a can and forgot them. The covers dissapeared!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
The old good stuff. If left overnight, you might not have threads left in the carb.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts