Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I have a Holley street avenger 770 carb. Car ran good last year had carb off put everything back together new gas lines and tank.car seems like when you rev it seems like it takes very long for rpm's to go back to idle and car struggles to idle.timming hasn't been touch and is still set.checked with a timing light.i thought maybe my throttle cable or carb where hanging open but no I checked everything..I'm scratching my head on this one.anybody have any idea's..??? Its a BBC 396 a little over stock cam 10to 1 compression msd box Thanks guys

·
Registered
65 Super Sport
252 Posts
Vacuum leak? If it ran good last year and you didn't take the carb apart check for base gasket leaks and vacuum hose leaks/routing.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,589 Posts
Did you run some gas out of your new fuel lines before you reconnected them to your carb?
There may have been some dirt in them that has made its way into your carb causing the erratic behavior.

If you do not find any vacuum leaks (as previously suggested), it may be time for a carb refresh/rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Have you verified the throttle blade return to the closed position correctly when the throttle is closed? Have you checked the powervalves? Is your return spring strong enough? If vacuum secondary, have you checked the vacuum diaphram and made sure the secondarys open and close smoothly?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i will check for some vacuum leaks see if that's the problem..i did notice just today that when i unscrewed the gas cap it hiss big time..its suppose to be a vented cap.i think they sold me a unvented cap

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok.i think i narrowed it down to the secondary's. the rod that's coming from the choke stuff. the rod go down to the secondary's. i noticed if the idle seems like is going up a little i go and push down on that rod and idle goes back down.that's the first time i ever had this problem on any of my cars.. ok how do i get this fixed so i don't have this problem again..thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
150 Posts
Take the carb off. Flip it over and see how far open the secondary idle screw is holding the secondaries.
Also look at how much transfer slot is exposed on the primaries. If they are larger than small squares, loosen that idle screw and open the secondaries the same amount you close the primary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts