Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just built up a 355 for my 64. Im having some issues with th car just like the car I tore out the old motor. It wouldent start after I got it all together so I put in a new coil and ingition module and it fired right up and I took the RPM's up to about 3000 (just did it by ear) and I was told to do this for about 15 min well about 5 min in it started getting too hot (about 225 degrees) so I shut it down. Now the question is should I run it up like that again or is my cam broke in? Another problem im having is when the car runs it sounds like a lawn mower and I tried to advance the timing alittle but it dident help much and I was wondering if I should advance it more or is there something else i need to do? and last but not least the car wont go into gear!!!! the shifter cable works and everything it just wont move when the car is in drive. I put a new torque converter in and spun it in and went past the 2 clicks when installing it but idk if thats the problem or not. If anyone has any tips it would help Thanks

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I always set a big fan in front of the radiator when breaking in a new motor. It may still get too hot before your 30-45 minute break in is finished. If so, you did the right thing by shutting it down. But, I keep track of the time it did run at 3000, then when it cools off, I start it back up and set it back to 3000 until I finish the breakin time. The cam won't be broken in with only 5 min run time. It might not be a bad idea to hook a tach up to the car as I know my old ears can be fooled as to what rpm I'm really running.

I also always have the timing light hooked up before I start the motor, and as soon as it fires up, I immediately set the advance to around 35-36 degrees while it's running at 3000. I know that with my distributor my total advance is reached at 2800, so I know I'm setting the total advance about where it will end up. If you are using a stock balancer that is not degreed all the way around, then buy some timing tape (Mr. Gasket makes some) and wrap it around your stock balancer. You don't even have to stick on the balancer, you can just put it in place and then mark 35-36 degrees with a dot or line of paint.

You might also want to double check your firing order, if you haven't already, to make sure a couple of wires aren't swapped.

One last item, do you know if you are close on your carb jetting? If you are too lean, that will contribute to it getting hot quickly.

As for why it's not pulling in gear, the first thing I would check is low fluid. When firing a new motor, as soon as I have the timing set, I immediately check the trans fluid and add more if needed. You can't be totally accurate with the motor running higher than idle, but if you have dry stick, add some, then re-check it when your breakin is done and you can idle the motor. Double check convertor bolts, etc, too.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help
I checked the tranny fluid with it cold and I know on the dipstick it should read above full with the tranny cold and there wasent any on the dipstick. I thought 1qt in the converter and 1gal in the tranny would be enough but i guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Well, I'm glad it sounds like it's something simple like fluid level. Let us know if you get it fired up and running right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts