Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my car crapped out on me. i am almost 100 percent its the starter/solenoid.

It will have power until i go to crank it. It attempts to turn over or click and then it cuts out. the entire car will go dead and i wont have power for anything until i unhook the battery and plug it back in.

I was running headers so i think they might of cooked the starter (no heat shield)

it was giving me this problem before headers but i would just bang on the starter alittle and it would start up.

so do you guys think thats what it is?

ill start working on it tomorrow...

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Change the starter.......Sounds like brush's to me....

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
don't go and change everything just yet. are the battery cables getting warm when you try to start it? If it attempts to crank then clicks or sparks then there is no power at all I would first check all connections. sounds like a loose battery cable. disconnect and clean everything including the battery posts and even pull down the starter and make sure the block is clean in the mounting area. The starer grounds to the block. Diagnose first. Replace parts later:yes: You can't just throw parts at a problem until its fixed:no:

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Had a sbc 78 Monte that would do that- No heat shield on the starter and BAM- you'd be SOL in a heartbeat.
He said it was giving him problems before headers...So It might not be heat related.....I've seen plenty of time's when the brush's in the starter wear ..I've done this little trick of tapping on the starter to get it to engage....The brush's ...I'm tellin ya...Sometime's old school can be right..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts