Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, guys when the car temp gets over 80 degree, the car becomes dull and heavy. and I can notice that from the steering becomes less easy to move when parking, the acceleration is not as fast as it is 60 degree, is it ok? :confused:
or it is just the car gets warmer and more relaxed....

·
Registered
9,944 Posts
Are you referring to the engine temperature? 60°C is very cold for an engine operating temperature, 80°C is more normal.
Is this a carbureted engine?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
We could really use more information to help diagnose the issue.

Does the engine ping under hard acceleration once warm?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean when the engine temperature reaches 90 C. the car becomes heavy and yes if I push on acceleration hears some knocking from engine looks like I have to adjust the distributor a little bit back.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We could really use more information to help diagnose the issue.

Does the engine ping under hard acceleration once warm?
yes exactly that what is going on lately and it is very obvious. what is going on? distributor adjustment?

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,448 Posts
Engine pinging under acceleration usually points to the timing being too far advanced... but it could also point to low octane gas and/or too high of engine compression. Does the engine also ping under acceleration when cold?
It could be as simple as just getting a good tune-up.

Another simple task is to check that all of your ignition wiring connections are tight and free of any corrosion. Be sure to check your spark plug wires for any cracks or burns... and also inspect your distributor cap & terminals. With the distributor cap removed, inspect your mechanical advance weights for any corrosion, wear, and proper movement.
Also check that all of your vacuum lines are in good shape and securely connected.

When your engine runs better when cool, but sluggish when warm could point to worn engine internals. I would recommend a compression check of all cylinders. While doing a compression check, inspect all of your spark plugs... what do the insulators/tips look like? - photos of plug insulators would help.
Engine sluggish when hot could also point to your ignition coil and/or module may be going bad.

As Squigie has already requested, some details would be helpful with diagnosis.
*Is your engine stock?... or has it been modified?
*What are some of your engine details (size, compression, cam specs, etc)?
*What kind of carburetor & size?... or do you have fuel injection?
*What kind of ignition system are you using (points, electronic conversion, HEI, CD box, etc)?
*What is your initial timing set to at idle with vacuum advance (VA) disconnected?
*What is your total mechanical timing at what RPM (no VA)?
*When you connect you VA, does it effect your initial timing at idle? If so, what is the new initial timing at idle?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts