Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I have been stuggling with this ever since I brought the nova home. Once again it is a 63 SS convertible in pretty good shape. The trunk needs help and so does the area under the rear seat (rust). The sparkomatic mono system is not cutting it. I not looking for killer system, but a stereo set up and a CD would be nice. I have been stuggling with whether to cut the dash and put in a modern stereo, go the custom audio route, or do a glove box intall. It seems cool to replace the brakes, steering, and what not, but I feel almost bad about cutting into the dash. What have you other guys done?

I want this car to be a driver, and plan to install the digital dash when I can justify the 600 bucks (may be a while). I think the blue would look pretty good with a blue lit stereo.

I like the nova a lot and plan to keep it for my son who is 10. That gives me 6 good years of driving before I pull the 400 and install and nice tame 6.

On another note my son gave me some great junk for the nova for dads day. New DRAGON license plate holders which we installed together, some lame steering wheel cover which I think I'll have to use. The best is the plastic cobra hood ornament. I have not come to terms yet how to tell him there is not way that is getting put on the car...

The snake is because I carve canes and walking sticks. I am also working on a custom shifter knob. A rams skull with horns, we will seel how it turns out.
walkingart.blogspot.com

sorry for the ramblings rod

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I thought about that for a fairly long time as well. I ended up making the hole in the dash larger to mount a stereo. There is a radio delete plate amongst my box of parts, and it can still be made to fit if wanted, so not all is lost.

·
Registered
34 Posts
http://www.candomarineparts.com/Page4740.htm

I have the under dash piece on the bottom left on the site above in my nova. I didn't want to cut up the dash either. Eventually when I restore it I will take out the stereo and make it all original. You can even use mini C-clamps instead of screws under the dash so there are no holes under the dash either.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
My Dad kinda custom made a bezel for underdash mounting. He used sheet aluminum from Lowe's and bent it around the head units case. Then we painted it and it turned out pretty well. He also braced it with some angle aluminum. I'll try and post some pics later. Also I used a Dual brand head unit and it has nice bright blue buttons and white letters/numbers on the display that is very affordable and sounds pretty good too. If you're on a tight budget its a pretty good unit and has a lot fo great reviews on amazon.com I don't know the model number but I'll look it up when I get home.

Also I really don't recomend cutting the dash, you'll probably regret it later and once it's cut its hard to go back.
-Aaron

·
Registered
510 Posts
On my 66 me and my dad took out the old huge radio and bent up some metal and welded it into where the radio used to be. When i bought the cd player, we just cut as much as we needed out from the center and put it in. it look good in the stock place too.

Or what you could also consider doing is buying (if they are still made) the aftermarket radio bezel and just duplicate it into metal and then weld it in. then your cd player would be exposed and your dash would look clean because theres nothing hanging under it.

Good luck, keep us posted

·
6,554 Posts
It's your car and you can do what you want to it and have it how you want it. You can cut the dash and if you make cuts in the right area's and save the cutout piece I don't see why a person later could not weld the section back in (just like doing any other metal patchwork. If it's done right it shouldn't be a problem but does take time).

Why limit yourself to the dash or glove box. Today there are remotely mountable display screens and IR remote repeaters out there to where a person could have the main unit anywhere in the vehicle. Remotely mounted displays can go just about anywhere in the car (years ago guys were putting the displays on the backside of the sun visors, in the center of the steering wheels, behind flip down panels in the dash, and also in the instrument panels). The only problem with remotely mounted radio's is accessibility to changing discs but if you have it with a 6,12, or 51 disc changer you will not be needing to access it as much as a single disc player.

Any radio you go with look for one that has 3 pair of RCA outputs, an auxilliary input (for Ipods, and other audio sources), and an IR (Infrared) remote. This will give a lot of flexibility when designing the system. Pioneer has two remotely mounted displays for marine use but there's no reason you can't use them in a car (I'm working with one for use in a 33 Dodge in an overhead console).

Also try and plan for future upgrade and make sure the main unit of the system can accept the upgrades (CD changers, satellite radio, DVD, navigation, etc).

Jim

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
nebraskarod said:
ok, I have been stuggling with this ever since I brought the nova home. The sparkomatic mono system is not cutting it. I not looking for killer system, but a stereo set up and a CD would be nice. I have been stuggling with whether to cut the dash and put in a modern stereo, go the custom audio route, or do a glove box intall. It seems cool to replace the brakes, steering, and what not, but I feel almost bad about cutting into the dash. What have you other guys done?

for me, i wouldn't cut the dash, too many other options including doing an am/fm conversion. these work great although as always, depends on your speakers. best of luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tought call

Thanks for all the advice. I going to do nothing right now, and continue to think and look for other options.

thanks, rod

1 - 11 of 11 Posts