Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found some seat covers that I think might fit. I got them on the front seats and on the back seat except for the back seat rest. I can't pull it
forward in order to get the seat cover around the back of it. Tried to find videos but none showed how to do it. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1963 Nova coupe, Phoenix Arizona
2,010 Posts
Not sure on a 3rd gen, 1st gen has tabs at the bottom that are bent over to hold a strap on the bottom corners, then you have to lift it up off some hooks that are on the package tray support.
Found this

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
The upper back rest portion of the rear seat is held in by bolts at the bottom. They can be obscured by the seat itself. Need to get down level with the bottom of the seat and look / feel around. This mounting convention started in '67.

Reactions: decan71

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
It's been a while since I had the back seat out of my 74, but the information in the link that rebob provided seemed pretty accurate.
  • First remove the bottom rear seat by pushing the front portion of this seat back towards the trunk and then lift up. You normally have to push this seat portion in 2 places (to release the bottom seat from 2 retaining brackets). Push from behind the drivers seat and from behind the passengers seat. You need to push... and then lift in one motion.
  • Once the bottom portion of the seat is out, look for the 2 small bolts with washers located at the bottom of the rear seat back and remove these 2 bolts. I recall there were also some metal tabs located at the bottom sides of the seat back that need to be bent straight so the seat back could be pulled forward slightly... and then push straight up from the bottom of the seat back so it lifts of of the seat back retaining brackets.

·
6,502 Posts
Here is an album on my 68 rear seat area and the first few pictures show the seat back bolts and outer lower bent over tabs and then the hook plates on the floor.

Jim

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's been a while since I had the back seat out of my 74, but the information in the link that rebob provided seemed pretty accurate.
  • First remove the bottom rear seat by pushing the front portion of this seat back towards the trunk and then lift up. You normally have to push this seat portion in 2 places (to release the bottom seat from 2 retaining brackets). Push from behind the drivers seat and from behind the passengers seat. You need to push... and then lift in one motion.
  • Once the bottom portion of the seat is out, look for the 2 small bolts with washers located at the bottom of the rear seat back and remove these 2 bolts. I recall there were also some metal tabs located at the bottom sides of the seat back that need to be bent straight so the seat back could be pulled forward slightly... and then push straight up from the bottom of the seat back so it lifts of of the seat back retaining brackets.
Surely, manufacturers don't intend for car owners to pretty well dismantle the back seat and back portion and undo bolts just to be able to get a seat cover on.

·
Registered
1963 Nova coupe, Phoenix Arizona
2,010 Posts
2 bolts and 15 minutes, it would be a lot easier and probably a better fit if ya had it out and on a bench ?
Surely, manufacturers don't intend for car owners to pretty well dismantle the back seat and back portion and undo bolts just to be able to get a seat cover on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts