Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 74 back from the body shop and after installing the door lock cylinder the door wouldn't open. So I figure OK easy enough I'll just remove the cylinder, well still won't open. The door is locked I guess. I have access to the inside of the door, luckily the door panel isn't installed yet. I looked in there and pulled and pushed every rod and linkage I could touch, still won't open. It seems as if the lever that the interior and exterior locks are supposed to move, won't. It barely rocks as compared to the other side. Any suggestions on how to get this open would be appreciated. This is getting to be quite the pain as it is the drivers side.
My last resort would be to chop the whole mechanism apart from the inside and replace it.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
This is just an idea, I'm not sure if it is possible. Can you see the end of the striker coming through the latch? If so, loosen it and it may release the door.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see the end of the striker but it is capured by the latch. You can only loosen it so far, definitely not enough.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
This works.

But seriously, try to push extra hard on the button while shaking the door, it may then pop open. And if you feel that you need to "cut" anything to get to the latch, try to "chip" out the push button 1st and then push the latch with a screwdriver since the end of the push button pins do wear away over time. And it might be just a tad too short now. The button can be replaced and is about the cheapest part to ruin vs. the inner panel or "cutting the door":D

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Hi Zak,
I'm trying to cover all things that may be a problem. Do you have the car jacked up right now? If the front end is hanging, it will cause the door to get caught on the striker.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car is on the ground. The door was working fine, then the door latch locked and won't unlock. The door handles are new and seem to be engaging right. I pulled them off though to try that, didn't work.
Don't think I'll be hacking the door apart, might ruin the new paint :rolleyes:
Think I'll get in there with the dremel and start ginding off all the rivets and such I can find till the latch falls apart.
I saw that Goodmark sold new latches but they don't cover up to 74, is there a difference?

·
3,863 Posts
I had that same problem. It turned out to be this little spring in the latching mechanism that was broken and caused the car to remain locked. I jiggled it and swore until I finally got the thing open. I replaced the latch with another and problem gone.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I've had the same problem & RM just went through this problem.Something is sticking and needs to be freed up,patience is a must.The only thing that seems to work is just figit with it and it will unlock.I've had some take 4 hrs and others in 2 min.The funny thing is only my Novas have ever done this.Sorry I can't explain it better but I don't really know what causes this.
Good luck Paul:eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts