Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roadway Express called last night and I went to retrieve my new Richmond 4 speed from Summit. All I can do is grin EAR TO EAR today! I know, I'm old school, that 4 speeds aren't in style anymore, but it's still what cranks my tractor. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning today! I've hardly slept since it was in shipping from the anticipation!
Brett.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
69NovaSS said:
Well that is kewl...nothing wrong with a four speed to bang though the hears with... :) :cool:

Brett, i have no clue what this turkey is sayin... but i betcha it'll be cool ta bang through the GEARS with !!!

LOL !!!!!

didja find yer clutch ??? i hope ya got a good deal on everything... i'm glad ya got yer tranny... :D :D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
the Flyer said:
Brett, i have no clue what this turkey is sayin... but i betcha it'll be cool ta bang through the GEARS with !!!

LOL !!!!!

didja find yer clutch ??? i hope ya got a good deal on everything... i'm glad ya got yer tranny... :D :D :D :D :D

Ha ha ha...ok wise guy I fixed my first post...I dunno...you yanks don't know how to bang though the Hears yet...Sheezzze :rolleyes: :D :)

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
the Flyer said:
us YANKS know how ta Bang LOTSA stuff :rolleyes: :D :D :D

i'm thinkin' ya just got FAT FINGERS today ;)

Like I said before their always fat :D :rolleyes: :)

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Brett.......... keeping this thread "clean"....... there's alot of us up here in Canuck Land that love bangin' the stick. Bob, Frank, Pat, Ric..etc. etc. Although in hindsight, I truly wish I put out the bucks for the Tremac 5 spd.. Like my good buddy......"Fly-Boy"!! I love driving my cars and with the 3:55's I'm doing 35-3700 Rpm going 65. Sharon loves driving @ 70mph which pushes the drone level to 4 G's. Not an enjoyable 400 mile trip!!! I can see your grin from here!! :D :D :D Take it easy with the bangin, as Frank can attest.......... slamin' from 1st to 2nd, his lever decided to stay with his hand and not the tranny!!!!! I think he had to drive all the way home in 2nd gear!! lol lol lol :p Too bad it didn't happen when we were grudge matchin' at the track........... he could have used it as an excuse!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Brett.. what shifter are you using?? I went with the Hurst Comp + and the "T" adapter for the Muncie bench seat lever. Frank had to re-do another "t" configuration to get it in the location I wanted.......... !!

Bogie

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I know how you feel. My frame rails and roll bar kit were delivered today too. YEEEHAW!!!!!. Dave

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Flyer, went w/zoom clutch assy. It (like the repro Muncie bench seat shifter) might not be as competent as other things (like a Hurst competition plus), but I rarely ever "get on it" anymore, and if I do, I'm not powershifting by any means (though I certainly know how and used to!). And, yes, I might regret not having an overdrive, but I really wanted to capture the old feel and go back in time. I really admire the guys who dedicate themselves to recreating an L-79 (well, as long as they don't try to rip someone financially). And, since I doubt I'll drive it more than locally, I won't be able to go much over 60-70 anyhow, so I can tolerate vibration/noise/gas mileage. In fact, I thought about it alot and just said to myself, screw gas mileage, I want what I want and I want a 4 speed (have a 700r4 laying under my bench, but it just doesn't fit the look/feel I'm trying to create).
To me, the L-79 "vibe" and "look" is just "right", but I like old stuff. In fact, if the used 327 I bought had been an older motor, I would have retained the road draft system and kept stock Chevrolet script valve covers on it. As it is now, I'm considering removing the roller rockers and using older valve covers and even considering grinding the aftermarket names off the intake and painting it too. I just love seeing Chevrolet orange under the hood. But, I feel that way about most older cars. My favorite hemi-cars are the sleeper belvederes with the dog dishes. Thanks again for your time in reading/responding and showing support/encouragement. Brett.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i like the way ya think... do what YOU want. afterall... who's HotRod is it ??? OH-YEAH !!! :D :D :D

i have a Muncie sitting in my shop, was planning on using it too, up untill my daughter moved away... then my plans had ta be changed, otherwise i'd be right with ya with the Four-Gear ;)

and i see nothing wrong with any of yer equipment either, wise choices... good quality stuff and i bet it's gonna be Bitchen. get us some shots will ya, you know were all addicted ta update shots ;)

i wish ya the best Brett... remember ta get us a nice BURN-OUT shot too !!! ;) :) :)

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Brett......... I too, have roller rockers and still have room with the stock L79 Chrome valve covers. I used a 5/16ths inch gasket.. ( I think it's the thickest available) No problems, even after almost 3000 miles!!! Check out Funky's 406 engine... he's tried his best to assimilate the L79 look and a damn fine job it is!!!

Bogie

·
Registered
968 Posts
4 on the floor

Hey brett i can relate to you wanting the 4 speed.I put a muncie M-21 in my 66 wagon and love it.I have only driven it only a couple of times since putting it in and the throwout bearing went bad and 1st and 2nd gears are noisy , but i wouldnt swap it for anything.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bogus, I haven't really had the chance to look at the used motor I bought really well yet, but I'm gonna check on that (roller rockers under stock valve covers with thick gasket). The motor is at a buddy's shop who restores cars as he's working on the other guys car and my was down there for epoxy/high build primer anyhow and the motor thing just feel into place (because it was a bargain) and I thought I can't do this and hook it to the 3-speed-manual and be happy for even a minute and I didn't want to use my 700r4, because it just didn't fit what I wanted the car to portray.
The motor was in a guys Vette and he wanted it gone because it was wrong year motor, etc. I know it has Sportsman heads with 2.02 valves, Edelbrock carb, Holley fuel pump, Street Dominator intake (forget who made that), MSD, can't recall the valve covers, and it's a large journal 327 block, if I recall what I was told, the duration around 290, lift around 480 or 490, but I'm vague on the details. Has some 2 inch ramshorns on it. I'm awaiting the documentation on the motor, it supposedly has less than 10K miles on it since rebuild.
I've got to paint it before it goes in car, it was done in black, which I know is practical, but I just don't like the looks of. I'm cleaning the engine bay of 40 years of goop from that stinking 194 as I get the chance now, but pretty tied up with work and all, so I'm not moving as quick as I'd like. Plus, everytime I think I have a grip on parts I need, I keep finding others I need to order and have to wait. Just got the bench seat Muncie last night from Classic Industries and it had a huge gouge right on the top of the chrome ball, still waiting on clutch assy and other various boots and gaskets. Maybe by springtime I'll have something decent enough to photograph. Thanks again to all who have provided encouragement, I'm in debt even further now, but I think it will be worth it the first time I break it loose at the top of 2nd gear! Brett.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh yeah, and for your giggles, the old man who was the original owner of my car (I'm second) had "lost it" and done some great repairs on the old stock 6. Why was my engine bay such a gunk pile? I finally figured out he'd broken the dipstick tube off barely above the block and not wanting to "make" a proper length dipstick, he just used the lawnmower principle on the old 194, fill 'er up until oil runs out of that tube and she was good to go! His fix for leaking stock metal line from fuel pmp to carb? He wired a cat food cat under the broken spot to "catch" the gas. Naturally, this can was sitting directly on the intake. His "fix" for vapor lock was to use clothes pins everywhere on the fuel line. I bet I have scraped about 4 pounds of greasy gunk from the engine bay already and I bet I have about another 2-3 sessions left to get it really clean. His fix for sticking linkages? He had a peice of twine tied to one of the rods and it snaked through the firewall to the inside so he could wiggle at red lights rather than replace the bushings or spend any $. His house had plastic taped over the broken windows (for years) cause you know those glass panes are expensive!
This was a guy who had 2 or 3 different engineering degrees and worked for NASA before his mind went duck hunting (with a rake)....and never came back. Bless his heart, he's dead now.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Brett said:
Maybe by springtime I'll have something decent enough to photograph.

now if that ain't a load a poopies i dunno what is... GET SOME SHOTS !!! :D :D :D

LOL !!! it's a Chevy II, Right !!??? and ya KNOW we like shots !!! ;) :D

don't make us come over there !!! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Johnny (packin' his bags) and bringin' the beer ;) :) :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Johnny, you're right, I am sucking aren't I? But, let me 'splain...I stripped my car to bare metal except for front fenders with stripper and putty knife, cause the sandblaster said he could get on and off quick enough then to chase the rust and not warp or damage anything. I got all the laquer off the front fenders, but they didn't need blasting, so they are nasty looking blackish primer (I guess factory). My buddy was to chase the sandblaster with DP-90 and then high build and then rough in some filler work. Well, my buddy developed a heart "defibirulation" deal right when this all was going down and had my car delivered to another paint buddy of his, who did all the priming without me seeing it, and my fenders were still over at my buddies shop. Well, the sandblast opened up a few other small spots that needed patching and the welder at my buddies shop addressed those.
So, while it was intention to have everything one nice even smooth coat of high build that would look "ok", now I have front fenders on there that don't match and everything that was looking good is now showing some other small patches and it just looks like poop. I'll see what I can do in about a month, BUT making that worse is lack of home 'puter and no dig camera (you do know I'm old school in every fashion, no cellphone or nothing). And, the dog ate my homework, the sun got in my eyes, I'm night blind, etc. etc.! I'm off the next couple days to scrape grease, ya'll have a nice weekend out there, Brett (leaving for the day).

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i'm just razzin' ya Brett... i know i get inspiration from hearing updates from everyone, regardless of where they're at in their projects... it doesn't matter what is going on, just the fact that we're all in this boat together helps me see the tunnel (is there REALLY an end to it ??? ;) ) i'm wishin' ya well and hope good things for ya... have a great weekend !!!

Johnny (ya know we'd still like pics) hehehe ;) :) :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Flyer,whos bringing shots?BTW,hows your car doing havent been on here much to see whats up with everyone

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
no progress... still waiting for welding of perches. if it doesn't get done soon, i'm burying the Flyer in my front yard and turning it into a yard art flower planter...

Oh, i'm still collecting parts too... but getting tattoo's and a pool table seems to have more importance... right now.

i'm frustrated with the Flyer right now... or should i say the lack of progress has caused me frustration...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts