Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm in my engine bay and doing some serious cleaning I figured this would be a great time to take out my power steering and get a manual steering box. I however cannot find a manual steering box anywhere near me! The only place is on Ebay and I don't do business on there anymore, does anyone know where I can get a manual steering box and pitman arm so I can have manual steering? The car is a 1973 Nova.

Thanks!
-Paul

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
You can get a unit at your parts store for around 200.00

I purchased a used one for 75.00, then purchased 2 more just to get parts for the first one. After the rebuild, chasing parts I have 200.00 in one good one from 3 (not so good) ones.

I should have just bit the bullet and bought the 200.00 unit from the parts store to start!

Plus a new pitman arm for 65.00!!!

I have yet to install!!
AL

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeeze Al, I think I'm going to pick one up from Lane Automotive. My buddy that works there can get a Borgeson for $215.00. Do it once and do it right.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have one I would sell. Its off a 71 and has a new pitman arm.
$100 shipped. Let me know if your interested.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
From someone with no PS

Why would you wanna go manual, thats the one thing about my car I cannot STAND is no power steering...

Steve

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why would you wanna go manual, thats the one thing about my car I cannot STAND is no power steering...

Steve
I've driven my friends car without power steering and it's not bad at all. The biggest thing is for a cleaner looking engine bay.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Mine sucks

it might be the Eagle GT2's or what not, but parallel parking the thing is an excercise in futility, im getting PS as soon as I get back from Georgia

Keep your parts in case you change your mind

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Try here.....[email protected] business is CJ Automotive They specialize in remanufactured Rack & Pinion, Gear Box's and pumps...or call...562-806-6464

·
Premium Member
7,407 Posts
I am installing Power Steering on the blue 68. I don't know if I am getting lazy or getting old.....

Tommy :)

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts

Steve
im trying to make this car- mainly strip, but it drives fairly effortlessly on the street with the skinnies. the cleaner engine bay and more header clearance were all pluses. but ive saved the PS stuff just in case i want to build a daily driver car in the future.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
the one thing about my car I cannot STAND is no power steering...
My wife never had much of a problem driving mine with big fat Pirelli's on the front. She was quite a bit younger then, she'd probably whine about it now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts