Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

A local guy here in Winnipeg was describing a 67 Canso he once owned. He said that his had louvers or something that looked like louvers on the front fenders. My car doesn't have these and I was wondering if I should have them. I don't have a sport deluxe so I'm not really sure.

Does anyone have some closeup pictures of what he's talking about?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
They are hard to find and expensive when you do (my buddy just sold a set for $300usd).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Dan, I see that you still have a picture of Steve Gray's '67 on file. Here's the reason why he sold it. This '64 roadster that he and his dad built has an LS1 with a 6 speed, rack and pinion steering, and whack of upgrades to the suspension. This car is appraised at over 100K.

-wayne-

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Here's another shot of the roadster during construction.

·
13,729 Posts
1 QWK 66 said:
Hi everyone,

A local guy here in Winnipeg was describing a 67 Canso he once owned. He said that his had louvers or something that looked like louvers on the front fenders. My car doesn't have these and I was wondering if I should have them. I don't have a sport deluxe so I'm not really sure.
I believe they were only on the Sport Deluxe. If you have a benchseat Canso Sport Coupe (2 door hardtop) I don't think it had louvres.
Bob

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
I have only ever seen the louvers on the SD cars. If I am not mistaken, the 67 SD louvers are the same part # as the 67 2+2 Pontiac emblems.

Carl

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Carl Stevenson said:
I have only ever seen the louvers on the SD cars. If I am not mistaken, the 67 SD louvers are the same part # as the 67 2+2 Pontiac emblems.
Carl
Sorry Carl... I went that route and bought a set of the 2+2 louvers (hoping to make a few bucks).
They look the same but are different widths and lengths. The '67 Pontiac 2+2 has 10 louvers, the '67 Canso has 8.
I did make a few bucks on the 2+2 louvers ($25), they are rare too.
Dan
BTW Wayne, my friend Larry still owns Steve's Canso SD. Nice looking Corvette.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Good thing as I get "old", I get smarter and realize I'm never too old to learn! Just when I thought I knew it all!

Carl

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are the 2+2 ones really that far off. If I don't find Acadian ones would the 2+2 ones look really out of place?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
1 QWK 66 said:
Are the 2+2 ones really that far off. If I don't find Acadian ones would the 2+2 ones look really out of place?
They look the same but they are different lengths and widths (not sure but I think the Pontiac 2+2 are smaller and thinner as they go on the top of the side of the front fender).
There's a set on ebay but you need to know the measurements to know what they are from:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pontiac-2-2-Canadian-Pontiac-Beaumont-fender-louvers_W0QQitemZ8041928200QQcategoryZ34232QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here an original 67 2+2 convertible (what's left of it anyway). The 67 4 door Canso in the background has most of the rare parts missing but still has a full interior (steering wheel, seat belts, kick panels, radio, door panel emblems etc.) I'm going to strip that car as much as possible in early April.

This car has the original louvers. They look so close. I'm not prepared to spend $300 :eek: to have the exact ones. I really don't think that anyone but you guys would notice any difference.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f355/1QWK66/135.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Is that a public wrecking yard, or a private collection?

I understand if you don't want to disclose the whereabouts of it. I see a few bigger Pontiacs around there, and they happen to be my other passion.

Carl

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Just was thinking about this again today, and wondered if the 66 SD louvers are the same as Lemans as I had always assumed. I looked them up in the parts books and sure enough, they are the same. So I wonder why GM chose to make unique louvers for 67 but to use something from a different model in 66?

·
Premium Member
297 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
As the previous guys said... only the SDs were chromed up like that and not only were the louvers different between the '67 and '66 they were also in a different location on the fenders as well. Seen that mistake made on a few '66s, the '67 ones were located lower and farther back if I remember right. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
208 Posts
As the previous guys said... only the SDs were chromed up like that and not only were the louvers different between the '67 and '66 they were also in a different location on the fenders as well. Seen that mistake made on a few '66s, the '67 ones were located lower and farther back if I remember right. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
you are right on the different placement of louvers on the 66 vs 67. i have 67 canso s/d and they are at the rear of the front fender instead of the front. the 67's are a bit different also. they have 4 individual louvers, aprox 1" wide or so per louver. hopefully this is of some help. i had to find mine as it is in one million pieces right now. doing ground up resto, new front clip, comp.eng. rear sub frame w/4 link and the rest of the goodies.
bob.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts