Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1974 nova hatcback H engine code with 4 wheel drum brakes. I need a new master as the current one has weak pedal feel and is leaking, problem is on my master both the fittings are 9/16 wrench while every replacement i can get has a 1/2 front and 9/16 rear fitting.

Any ideas on this? At this point i might just buy a rebuild kit but the problem is i do not want to order the wrong one....

·
6,525 Posts
I have a 1974 nova hatcback H engine code with 4 wheel drum brakes. I need a new master as the current one has weak pedal feel and is leaking, problem is on my master both the fittings are 9/16 wrench while every replacement i can get has a 1/2 front and 9/16 rear fitting.

Any ideas on this? At this point i might just buy a rebuild kit but the problem is i do not want to order the wrong one....
I would check with a different supplier. That one looks just like the one on my 68 with manual brakes and drums all around:

I wonder if they are pulling up one for a disc brake setup ?.

Jim

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
... problem is on my master both the fittings are 9/16 wrench while every replacement i can get has a 1/2 front and 9/16 rear fitting.
The fitting sizes on the replacement master cylinders are listed according to thread size. And those don't necessarily correspond directly to the wrench size.

There is a good chance the original front fitting has 1/2" threads with a slightly larger 9/16" hex for the wrench. While the rear fitting is 9/16" on both the threads & hex. So those replacements you found could very well be correct. Measure the actual thread sizes (not just the wrench size) to be sure.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
you could have White Post Restorations rebuild it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would check with a different supplier. That one looks just like the one on my 68 with manual brakes and drums all around:

I wonder if they are pulling up one for a disc brake setup ?.

Jim
That looks exactly like mine and if i could have a part number it would make my life easier

The fitting sizes on the replacement master cylinders are listed according to thread size. And those don't necessarily correspond directly to the wrench size.

There is a good chance the original front fitting has 1/2" threads with a slightly larger 9/16" hex for the wrench. While the rear fitting is 9/16" on both the threads & hex. So those replacements you found could very well be correct. Measure the actual thread sizes (not just the wrench size) to be sure.
You could very well be right, but i do not want to have the car off the road for too long while i try to jump back and forth comparing masters.

Everywhere i go, they show this one as the correct unit

even rock auto
I went and ordered it at my local autozone only to have it be the wrong one.

Probably is just thread size vs wrench size but at the same time the ones i can get look nowhere near like the one that's on the car now so i'm a bit conflicted

1 - 5 of 5 Posts