Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know how to decode a canadian cowl tag? they differant than us made cars,at least mine is.i got 1/2 of it figgured out.lol

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have the vintage sheet from gm for the ser # with the options but theres far more options on it than what cowl tag says there is...........ok here gos
top line,style 11737...........2-11-18,second line,body201634,i know what the rest of the lines mean, also know 11737 is chev ss coupe,any help with the rest would be appreciated.thanks

·
13,269 Posts
The 11737 is a Super Sport with a six cylinder engine. 2-11-18 is generally considered to be the body build date - 2nd shift, 11 month, 18th day. This should be just a few days before the production date shown on your GM Canada documentation. 201634 is the body build sequence number and doesn't have great significance.

The cowl tag was stamped by Fisher Body very early in the build sequence. The only options shown on the tag were those requiring actions by Fisher Body workers to accomodate specific options IE: a factory radio usually will appear because it required Fisher Body to provide a hole for the antenna....a 4 speed because it required a hump on the transmission tunnel, etc. If an option didn't require a procedure by Fisher Body it usually didn't appear on the cowl tag, although there are exceptions. Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Canadian Cowl Tag

I have a 1967 Chevy Nova SS, kinda rare as it has the 283 V8 with auto trans. I understand the VIN Tag but need help decoding the cowl tag. The details on the tag are as follows.

1st line: 11837 1-6-15
2nd line: Style 232032
Line 3: Body No. OS or 0S
Line 4: Paint 9. GG
Line 5: Trim. 781
Bottom of tag: M35

Attachments

·
13,269 Posts
Hi Tom and welcome to the site. 11837 is a V/8 Nova Super Sport. 1-6-15 is the Fisher Body shift number (1), 6 is the month (June) and 15 is the day of the month the body was built. 232032 is the Fisher Body sequence number. OS stands for the GM build plant which is Oshawa, Ontario. The GG paint code is exterior Granada Gold. 9 is the interior sheet metal paint color, which is probably gold, too. 781 is the interior code - gold bucket seats. M35 is the powerglide automatic. I'm currently on winter vacation in southern California and don't have all my info with me, so I'm guessing a bit on the above.

You may be aware that GM Vintage Services in Canada can document your car as it was built. More info in the sticky at the top of the Canadian Forum.

Bob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cowl Tag Decode

Bob,

Thanks for the info. I had everything but the "Paint 9", "OS" and the "23232" details. I already have the letter and breakdown of the VIN tag from GM Vintage Services. I'm just buying the car now with it's entire known history in great detail. Super clean little Nova SS. I'm excited as this is my first vintage vehicle.

·
13,269 Posts
Tom, I see you have described the car as an L77. There were no 220HP/283 Chevy IIs built in Canada that I know of. What does the documentation say about the engine?

Bob

·
Registered
14 Posts
67 Canadian Nova

Bob,

I'm sorry, I misspoke. The car is a true SS 67 Nova with a 283 CID 195 HP 2bbl Turbo Fire V8 with a 2 speed power glide automatic transmission. I have all the documentation and a letter with build breakdown from George J. Zapora from Canada GM Vintage Vehicle Services. I got to speak with the man who actually bought it from the original owner after 18 years and he then owned it for 20 years. He actually was a mechanic at the GM dealership where the car was originally purchased in Canada and serviced it for the owner for the first 18 years before buying it and completely restoring it himself. Nice story and history.

·
Registered
14 Posts
67 Nova SS Vin tag

Bob,

Thanks for all you insight on this decoding stuff. I think I have it but would you mind breaking my VIN Tag down as well. It's 1183771106727. The BM Vintage Services report speaks to the build but doesn't break down each number of the tag. Thanks!

·
13,269 Posts
If the car matches George's documentation all is well. As for the VIN, 11837 is V/8 Nova Super Sport. The next '7' is the year, 1967. The '1' is the number designator for the Oshawa, Ontario build plant. The last 6 numbers indicate this is the 106727th car produced.

Bob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bob, interestingly the car was featured on the cover of Nova Times in the May/June 2015 issue with a 3 page article. I haven’t read it but there are a couple copy for me with the vehicle. All to be seen this Tuesday when I fly out to finalize the deal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bob, where would I be able to visually see the exhaust configuration from manifold to tail pipe as originally equipped with this 1967 Nova SS with the 283 motor, 2 bbl card and auto trans.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok so I'm trying to figure out if my Canadian built 1965 Nova SS has the original engine or a crate motor stamp # is 805437908?

·
13,269 Posts
Is this a V/8? If so, what size and HP. Also, what are the letters and numbers on the pad on the front of the engine, passenger side?

Bob

·
Registered
223 Posts
I should mention that the "9" on the paint line actually denotes that the car is painted in Acrylic Enamel (not lacquer as in the U.S.). Expect body-coloured firewall & trunk on those "9" cars.

Also you won't typically see the radio RPO appear on the cowl tag, but if a rear antenna was ordered you would see U73 since Fisher Body had to deal with it before passing it through to the assembly plant. A front antenna happens after the front clip & everything has joined the body (well after Fisher has finished with it) and as such will not appear on the cowl tag.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok so the engine is original ? I ordered the plant documentation through (vintage vehicle services) talked to George for like 30min. He's a real cool dude! Now I have it posted for sale on eBay so I can get cash for my 1967 Nova SS! Check it out! I'm truly gonna miss her...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts