Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got a Canadian built 66 or 67 Chevy II or Acadian hardtop with a GM Canada documented vinyl top? How 'bout 66 or 67 GM Canada documented 2 tones with D99 sail panel chrome strips? Trying to determine how rare these might be.
Bob

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I owned this red '66 Canso back in the late 70's up until '82. It was a 6cy pg car and completely stock. Sold it for $1600.....
The car was bought at Trapp Motors in New Westminster (long gone now). I had no reason to believe the top wasn't original as the guy I bought it from was the original owner and he said he painted the car and didn't mention he had added the vinyl top.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I own this blue '66 Canso now, it has a white vinyl top also. I removed the top and there is no hint of paint under it. I have photos from before it was painted and the top was on the car then too.
This car is from Trapp Motors too. My GM documents don't mention the D99 trim but there is original paint under the D99 trim but not where the vinyl is above it.
Our good buddy Menno looked at my trim and said the front trim pieces that are at the base of my front pillars is correct and rare to find.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
66_Canso said:
I own this blue '66 Canso now, it has a white vinyl top also. I removed the top and there is no hint of paint under it. I have photos from before it was painted and the top was on the car then too.
This car is from Trapp Motors too. My GM documents don't mention the D99 trim but there is original paint under the D99 trim but not where the vinyl is above it.
Our good buddy Menno looked at my trim and said the front trim pieces that are at the base of my front pillars is correct and rare to find.
do you have any closeups of the front trim? I have a '65 Canso SD with a (supposed) dealer installed vinyl top

·
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
66_Canso said:
I own this blue '66 Canso now, it has a white vinyl top also. My GM documents don't mention the D99 trim but there is original paint under the D99 trim but not where the vinyl is above it.
Dan, does the GM documentation for your current car show the vinyl roof option? Should be RPO CO8. Did you have documentation for the first car?
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Mine is documented with the D99 option. The original color was Provincial White, with a red interior. Built in Oshawa in September and Shipped to Dueck on Broadway(since relocated) in October 67. I got the three dimples on each side where it goes.

On another note, I did the body work in 5 months, and the guy doing the engine, rear end, tranny and suspension has had that car for 7 friggin months and I am not too sure when it will be completed. I called him today and told him the car is going to the next shop(paint) on June 15. Not sure if that will move anything but we ll see. I am driving this car this summer!!!

Cheers,

Pierre

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey Dan

I too am curious to see what the trim piece at the bottom of the A pillar looks like. I remember talking to you once about them and since then have looked at every pic of other vinyl top cars and have yet to see anyone with one. When I got my car it did not have the original vinylt top, (one seam down the middle as opposed to the two on either side). Cowl tag does indicate it to be a true vinyl top car though. Also worth mention is that it is an American car...... although it does sport chromed tail light bezels now. :D

Ryan

·
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pierre67ss said:
Mine is documented with the D99 option. The original color was Provincial White, with a red interior. Built in Oshawa in September and Shipped to Dueck on Broadway(since relocated) in October 67. I got the three dimples on each side where it goes.
Cheers,
Pierre
Pierre, was yours a vinyl top car or two tone? Of maybe like Ric's former black 67, it just had the D99 trim with no vinyl or 2 tone. Alot of 67s seem to have been built that way.
Bob

·
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dubldown said:
Also worth mention is that it is an American car...... although it does sport chromed tail light bezels now. :D
Ryan
Check your tail light bezels, guys. If you now have crappy looking anodized jobs replacing your nice chromed units, we have a suspect ;) .
Bob

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Ryan,
Try and dig it out tommorrow for a photo, time to look around the attic anyways.
Dan

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
CdnL79 said:
Pierre, was yours a vinyl top car or two tone? Of maybe like Ric's former black 67, it just had the D99 trim with no vinyl or 2 tone. Alot of 67s seem to have been built that way.
Bob
Bob,

This is what I got from the GM Documentation:

Option Description
A02 GLASS: TINTED WINDSHIELD
D99 SPECIAL TWO-TONE PAINT, MOULDING
M35 TRANSMISSION: POWERGLIDE AUTOMATIC (2 SPEED)
N40 POWER STEERING
P67 TIRE: 6.95-14-4-PR -HWY-W/WALL
U15 SPEED WARNING INDICATOR
U63 RADIO: AM PUSHBUTTON

I wrote it exactly like it shows on my sheet. The trim is 749(red vinyl strato buckets), and paint is C(Provincial White).

There is no original picture of this car, so I dont know exactly what it looked like. They mention special two tone paint, but two tones of White????

Cheers,

Pierre

·
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pierre, sounds like the same situation as Bogies black 67 SS. It had documented D99 trim, but wasn't an original 2 tone or vinyl top car. It's quite possible that this trim could be ordered as a separate entity.
If you have Steve Statham's book 'Nova SS' there is a pic of a stock 67 Acadian Canso Sport Coupe with D99 trim and no 2 tone or vinyl top.
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
CdnL79 said:
Pierre, sounds like the same situation as Bogies black 67 SS. It had documented D99 trim, but wasn't an original 2 tone or vinyl top car. It's quite possible that this trim could be ordered as a separate entity.
If you have Steve Statham's book 'Nova SS' there is a pic of a stock 67 Acadian Canso Sport Coupe with D99 trim and no 2 tone or vinyl top.
Bob
I dont have the book, but I ll check into getting it. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Pierre

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have documumentation for my Oshawa-built '67 Chevelle (I know, not a Chevy II / Acadian). This is from back in the eighties when they gave out a copy of a microfished page, "Monthly Listing of Vehicles Shipped" and it showed 50 consecutive cars by vin & options. There were four 2-tone cars all with D99, plus 1 monotone car with D99. I have heard of a monotone Granada Gold '67 Beaumont Sport Deluxe with factory D99 moldings as well. It seems to me the D99 moldings were shown in the '67 Chevy II brochure on the Nova sedan and might have even been included on that series/model (Nova Sedan). I'm not sure about that though. From my own observations I can honestly say that I can never recall a '66 or '67 Acadian with a known factory vinyl roof cover. Chevy IIs are a different story, but then again the cars I have seen were probably U.S.-built.

·
Registered
226 Posts
FWIW, the Canadian '67 Chevy II brochure and '67 Acadian brochure that I have do not show or mention a vinyl roof option anywhere within.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts