Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple quick questions for a first time head swap. I am putting on my new vortec heads ('69 327cid).

1. Does it matter which head goes on which side?

2. I noticed one of the lifters was missing a "retainer", can I replace all the lifters with some lifters that were used with another cam but for less than 1000 miles? I know you are never supposed to reuse lifters but considering so few miles, I am wondering if it would really be a bad idea.

3. The rockers have little arrows (triangles) on them. Does it matter what rocker goes on what stud?

4. I know the intake is different. Are the intake bolt sizes any different?

5. The pushrods are all straight but look a little "worn", almost like they must be rubbing somewhere. The easy answer is to get new ones but do i necessarily need new ones as long as they are straight?

6. Anyone have an old vortec intake they would like to sell?

Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
A couple quick questions for a first time head swap. I am putting on my new vortec heads ('69 327cid).

1. Does it matter which head goes on which side?

2. I noticed one of the lifters was missing a "retainer", can I replace all the lifters with some lifters that were used with another cam but for less than 1000 miles? I know you are never supposed to reuse lifters but considering so few miles, I am wondering if it would really be a bad idea.

3. The rockers have little arrows (triangles) on them. Does it matter what rocker goes on what stud?

4. I know the intake is different. Are the intake bolt sizes any different?

5. The pushrods are all straight but look a little "worn", almost like they must be rubbing somewhere. The easy answer is to get new ones but do i necessarily need new ones as long as they are straight?

6. Anyone have an old vortec intake they would like to sell?

Thanks for your help guys!
1. No. The same accessory bolt holes are generally drilled on BOTH ends of the heads.

2. If they are flat tappets...No. They establish a wear pattern to the lobe they are riding on. BUY NEW LIFTERS. And read the sticky on modern oils by Veno!!
If they are hydraulic rollers, yes you can re-use lifters as long as they still roll without ANY hitches or snags. I usually roll them on my forearm so I can REALLY feel them roll.

3. Makes no difference what stud the rockers go on.

4. Not sure what your asking. Different between Vortec and non-Vortec or just different between intake locations?

5. Pushrods is really something you'll need to measure right at the end of the build in order to make sure you get the PROPER length.:yes: There is no one size fits all.:no:
As fr the ones you have, it really depends on how they are worn and YOUR build requirements. Are you using self-aligning rockers (which most Vortec heads require) or are they machined for screw-in studs and guide plates? If they are set up with guide plates you'll need hardened pushrods.:yes:

6. Nope...sorry..

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much D-man. That helps a lot. Your pushrod answer has prompted another question. How do I know if my pushrods are the proper length? Basically it is a '69 327cid with a mild cam but it had "smog heads" on it. I am simply swapping to '8062 vortec heads with self aligning rockers. Should these pushrods be ok? As far as the intake bolt question. I was just wondering if you use the same length bolt, I know the pattern is different.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Your wear pattern on the valve stems will tell you if they are the correct length. Check the Comp and Lunati web sites. I think they both have some good write-ups on the process.

I'm not totally sure on the intake bolts.:no: I usually just get one of the ARP bolt kits and call it a day.:D It saves what seems like HOURS searching for miscellaneous bolts here and there..:yes:..and they look cool.:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts