Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this here as I had something interesting occur at the dragstrip today during T&T. I made a pass that I was not happy with, made some adjustments, and then headed back up to the staging lanes. I noticed the car was running a little odd so I brought it back to poke around. Long story short this is what I found....

Does anyone have a guess what part this is that lives inside the distributor cap trying to escape? As you can see it tore that dist. cap a new one. I really do not want to buy a whole new dist. if not needed. I plan on getting the cap off later this week, but was hoping someone might know what that part is.

After all the BS I went through to get to the track today I can't even really enjoy it. Still glad it happened there when I have a trailer rather than 20 miles away from home messing around on the street. Oh well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Kind of looks like the screw that holds down the rotor.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The timing is locked out on this car. Would I be safe, if no other damage found, to put some Loctite on there, put it back in, and get a new cap?

·
Registered
769 Posts
why havent you pulled the cap ? If I was at the track and something happened i would want to know what, not to mention a cap comes off easy and its better than guessing

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
why havent you pulled the cap ? If I was at the track and something happened i would want to know what, not to mention a cap comes off easy and its better than guessing
My thoughts exactly. Looks like a rotor screw to me but it wouldn't take a minute to remove the cap and see.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't see the point of doing it at the track as I had no replacement and I knew it would run "as is" to get it back on the trailer. I have three days off of work this week as I start my new job on next Monday and I have vacation days to burn. So I will probably work on it tonight and then get some more pics up once I get the cap off. I hope to have this all squared away by the end of the week.

So, barring any other damage in there, put screw back in place, new cap and probably new rotor, and good to go?

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I'd indicate the top of the distributor shaft to be sure it's not bent and check the gear and gear roll pin to be sure they are not hurt. If they are OK I'd let it eat.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Disassembly completed

Yep, a screw came out of the rotor and got bounced around on the inside until it came through the cap. Got the new cap and rotor on order and should be here Wednesday. If I'm feeling froggy I might be back at the track on Saturday or Sunday. Not sure if I feel like dropping the coin again that soon.

Here's some pics of what the inside of the dist. cap looked like on the inside

You can see on the left side of the pic where the screw came out of. All that debris on there is shavings from the screw eating up the contacts.

And here's what left inside the bottom of the distributor

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
When you get the new rotor it should come with two sets of bolts. One set is longer than the other cause of different versions of distributors they have. If you can run the longer ones without it hitting the pick up coil i'd do that, maybe some blue loctite on the bolts.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm thinking Loctite, some lock washers, etc. I do not want this happening again and ruining my day at the track or anywhere for that matter.:D

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
let me ask this do you think its from running them cone washers that come with them screws/bolts ? is there a way to get rid of them washers and use some stainless steel flat washers or a lock washer instead lets hear your ideas guys

1 - 15 of 15 Posts