Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the motor pulled out of the nove tonight and was able to get a good look at the front of the tranny. From under the car it seemed to me that the pivot fork was in the 9'oclock position.

Now with it out, it seems to be pretty close to 9' oclock, maybe 8:30?????

Anyone take a look at this and confirm that I am not seeing this funny?

You can see where the fork exits the bellhousing.

The linkage on my old headers ran RIGHT above the top of the collector, Just a slight hairs width clearance.

On the new build I have a Lakewood unit with the fork at the 7 oclock position. Wondering if I am going to have to screw around with all new linkage.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
that's a 3/4-1ton truck bell housing... take a look at the front bearing retainer... see the gap in between it and the center hole? that housing is wrong, so wrong. the trans centers via the bearing retainer in the bell's center hole... yours is being held in and centered by the bolts. sorry to give you the bad news but with a Muncie style tranny the way the mainshaft/bearins are made/put together is it's not so bad but on a rail style tranny, like a Tremec... that would wipe out the front bearing as the main shaft isn't centered as close as it's supposed to.

Tremec specs are .005 runout... i'm sure you have tons...

what size flywheel you running? if it's a 153 then get a factory V8 ChevyII housing and the correct linkage and you're done. the ChevyII housing is a 7 O'clock unit, not 9 or 8:30 :D ;)

(pssst... i have a cherry housing ;) )

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
John, thanks for the response. I thought you may answer. I read a few of your threads on your bellhousing and linkage adventures.

I had spent a lot of time a few years ago trying to figure out what bellhousing that I actually had in this thing. I could never find what it was without taking it out of the car.

Funny thing is, I have ran this setup since I was 17 years old with a SBC, I am now 37. As I am sure you can imagine, I have run it through its paces many times over the years.

Thanks for the offer on the housing, I have the correct Lakewood housing and motor plate to use with the new build. 153 tooth flywheel.

Sounds like I am going to have to find some correct linkage and clutch fork..... As it stands now, I dont see the stuff I have working with the new bellhousing.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
look in my trans/clutch album and i believe i have linkage images that you can compare what you have with stock items. with the bell you're using it's very possible the linkage you're using was stock. might not necessarily be working as intended but might work just fine with the correct bell.

one thing i've found on my adventures is that sometimes using aftermarket parts the specs stack bad against us... the bell specs, flywheel specs etc... make sure when the flywheel, clutch & bell are installed the actuation of the clutch is correct. due to slightly thinner flywheels and the block plate being used the distances from back of block to bell back face are off just enough that either an adjustable pivot is needed or the pivot and a special T/O bearing is needed.

mock up the bell with flywheel, clutch etc installed... install the bearing retainer in the bell with an extra input shaft and then install all linkage. with bell blocked up the linkage can be installed and the clutch tested/actuated to ensure all linkage is working properly... once checked, unblock bell, remove linkage and lower bell to install trans... then reassemble everything...

with aftermarket parts you're really best off mocking things up first. it'll save you lots of time and possibly save you from having to repull the trans to correct things...

i'd be happy to assist you if you have any issues/questions... us Shifty guys gotta stick together. ;)

the trans/clutch album:
http://s7.beta.photobucket.com/user...Transmission-Clutch-Bell Housing-Linkage info

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks John,

Will do, everything will get mocked up prior to final installation.
Thanks for the link as well, I will go do some comparisons later today.

I would guess that I do have the stock linkage and was fortunate that it worked well for so long. This thing has suprised me more than once on what is actually in it. Once I finish the motor and trans, I will move on to the new rearend set up. Once that is one, I will have officially turned each and every nut and bolt on the car at one time or another!

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
yeah i know what ya mean... sometimes i wish i wouldn't have to get to the stage that every nut & bolt has been touched... best of luck on the build/rebuild... keep us POSTed. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts