Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I finally pulled a valve cover to see whats under it. This is what I found:

The casting #s are as follows: 320 73 PASS GM9T 353049

It obviously has roller rockers, although I was unable to determine the make or valve spring type. Any input on what these are and how good this stuff is is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Any idea what the rockers are (ratio) and who made them? Might be hard to tell in the pics. there were no markings on them that I could see to identify them. I'm hoping someone recognizes them.....

Here is the line from mortec.com: 353049.....73-84...oval...OPEN...454, 122cc chamber, 255/119cc ports
Am I right in assuming this means the heads are 454 heads? and do they work well on a 396??

·
Registered
139 Posts
By the color of the rockers they look like Harlin sharp (spelling??) but it has been a long time.

Thats my guess.......

Bret

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think they are harland sharp as well. Comp cams also makes an aluminum rocker that is a red color. I had Comp cams rockers and the ratio was marked on the top of the body.

Harland sharp makes either a 1.7 or 1.8 rocker. I'm guessing its a 1.7 ratio. You could try and measure them to get the ratio. Measure for the fulcrum to the center of the needle tip and then the fulcrum to the center of the pushrod cup. Then divide the two numbers. This will give you your ratio.

Chris

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
fuzzy5385 said:
By the color of the rockers they look like Harland sharp

Chilly said:
I think they are harland sharp as well.......Harland sharp makes either a 1.7 or 1.8 rocker. I'm guessing its a 1.7 ratio. You could try and measure them to get the ratio. Measure for the fulcrum to the center of the needle tip and then the fulcrum to the center of the pushrod cup. Then divide the two numbers. This will give you your ratio.
Ya I was thinking the same thing based on the color:)

·
3,863 Posts
Those are some of the better stock heads for a big block. As long as the pistons are correct for the head they will work fine on a 396. If you go to Team Chevelle's website there are alot of big block gurus and a ton of information. Buiilding a big block you have to very cognizant of piston/head relationships and valve train issues.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You for your replies. Any one else - keep em coming! I guess Harland Sharp rockers are good? I have heard the name... In case you haven't seen on other posts - I do not know much about what is in this motor. the guy I got it from only had the cam card (Competition Cam) and said that the guy he got it from built it to race. I am trying to get all info I can from you guys so I can have a better idea whats in it. I appreciate the help. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts