Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of purchasing a front disk brake conversion kit. Can i use the master cylinder and proportioning valve from the original drum set-up????

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Do your drum brakes have a prop valve or is it just a junction block ?
I just converted my 69 to front disc after a real headache with a certain companys conversion kit.
My advice. Buy disc brake spindles, caliper brackets and dust shields from any of the classic parts suppliers.
The rest of the parts, rotors, bearings, seals and calipers you can source from your local parts supplier. Order 69 Camaro brake hoses (they fit better) and a master cylinder for a 68 Vette.
If your interested I can get you all the part #'s you need.
I am happy with my conversion.
The only company I have seen that has a nice drum spindle conversion kit is C.C.P.
The rest are junk just so ya know I've been there!:bored:

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
You need a dual chamber master cylinder and a combination valve.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
??

so no manual brakes? :(
Not sure what you are asking?
I have manual on my 75 but upgraded to Hawk stainless discs and pads. Made a big difference in stopping power.

·
Premium Member
11,456 Posts
The proportioning valve will need to be disc/drum specific. They require different pressures/volumes to operate. I'm not sure about the master cylinder. I bought a reman one just to be safe (don't skimp on brakes :eek:) but don't remember if it was different.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
so no manual brakes? :(

yes you can! You use a the factory Master cylinder for a 1698-1970 no-power front disc brake Nova.

You can use the same proportioning valve for power or manual brakes.
You can use any GM proportioning valve car IE: Camaro, Chevelle, Malibu, Pontiac, Buick that has front disc/rear drum built before ABS. From 1968-to late 1980's
No trucks, no suv's.

Let the junk yard hunt begin!

If you get your rotors and calipers, hardware and hoses separate from parts store or even a salvage yard this is a deal!!!
http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/product-detail.cfm?product_id=781

·
Registered
159 Posts
yes you can! You use a the factory Master cylinder for a 1698-1970 no-power front disc brake Nova.

You can use the same proportioning valve for power or manual brakes.
You can use any GM proportioning valve car IE: Camaro, Chevelle, Malibu, Pontiac, Buick that has front disc/rear drum built before ABS. From 1968-to late 1980's
No trucks, no suv's.

Let the junk yard hunt begin!

If you get your rotors and calipers, hardware and hoses separate from parts store or even a salvage yard this is a deal!!!
http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/product-detail.cfm?product_id=781
absolutely. we nabbed everything i needed off a 70 pontiac. rotors, calipers, spindles, and all. got out of there for only $250. spent another $25 for hoses and $15 for pads. but back to the what you were saying....i used my master cylinder that i had already had on the car which was for non power drums and i'm still using it now, but they are manual discs if that has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks for the info here i was wondering the same bout front disc set up. i got a 65 manuel 4 wheel drum, if i get the 68 vette master cylinder, what about a brake booster? or is it needed? thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
brake conversions

i have a 65 nova and just did the 0-60 kit of ebay works great all new 69 parts on it and just ran a 68 vette master cylinder which made a huge stoppin difference

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Can you use a power brake master for manual??
the answer is no!

there is no way for the linkage rod to work.
The MC needs a hole on the back for the plunger rod.
I have seen people cut the rod and expect it to work.
it will not work!
the rod will fall out and the result can be fatal to yourself or others.

Al

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
the answer is no!

there is no way for the linkage rod to work.
The MC needs a hole on the back for the plunger rod.
I have seen people cut the rod and expect it to work.
it will not work!
the rod will fall out and the result can be fatal to yourself or others.

Al

thansk Al, Im still learning:eek::eek::D

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
thansk Al, Im still learning:eek::eek::D
I completely understand.

When dealing with brakes second guessing IMO, is not a option. And most parts people can and will say things without knowledge and the result will get someone hurt if not killed!

I am not a brake expert, But I will warm what I know to be not safe and the importance of what we are dealing with.

AL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts