Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 255/60-15 BFG Radial TAs on Street Lite 7" rims, but will be using these rims to mount MT ET Streets, which will stay on the car most of the time. But I would like to mount the BFG TAs on a set of Street Lites with 6" rim width, to be used for long distance cruises to save wear and tear on the MTs.

All the info I have found shows a 7" rim is the minimum for a 255/60-15, but what happens if they are mounted on 6" rims? Is it a safety issue, will they roll off the rim when cornering? Or is it just that the tires will wear faster? I'd really like to use what I already have, but only if it is safe to do so.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I would not exceed the manufacturers recommended tire size for a stated rim width. Running too large of a tire may load the tire in a way where the internal stresses exceed the design of the tire. I would be concerned on the two things you pointed out- bead seating and wear.

Did you already buy the 6" street lites? Why not step up to 7"?

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you already buy the 6" street lites? Why not step up to 7"?

I had them on the front but they rubbed, so went to 4" on the front. I can live with the tire wear, but am curious about the the real risk of tire failure.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
In 1964 **** Landy ran a 10" slick on a 15x3" wheel--that is a bit extreme. I don't think a 255 on a 6" is going to be much of a problem; radials seem to be more forgiving when it comes to rim width.

BFG's specs say 6.5-10" width for the 255--that missing 1/2" won't kill you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts